Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOO-TAY!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Don't_Fret, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    What bass can produce the biggest, fattest, roundest R&b/Hip Hop/Gospel tone of all? :cool: If not model or company, then specify combination of woods/electronics, etc.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're lookin' "ole school", then I'd say that a Precision-style bass would be right up you're alley. There are several good ones out there...of course I'm partial to Lulls! :D

If you want to take the tone game a little farther, then be prepared for the TB Roscoe brigade to show up en masse, describing how much the love their "P-bass on steriods" tone. Roscoes are great for the type of tone you're looking for...check 'em out. ;)

3. :hyper: ROSCOE

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Big, fat, round, tone?

Roscoe!

Peace
    Nick

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'll agree and say Roscoe as well. Without question, the biggest sounding bass I've ever played.

6. hey, JPJ -- why not suggest a fender P bass instead of a Lull? why not suggest an epiphone jack cassady instead of a Roscoe?

let's see here...why, why, why...hmm...blueberry hill bass sells Benavente, DHuff, Eshenbaugh, Lull, Nordstrand, and Roscoe...but it has to be a coincidence....

both the fender P and the epiphone jack cassady, along with the lakland hollowbody, and probably a host of other basses including the new ibanez hollowbody, all have old school tone, but you don't sell them, so you won't suggest them.

honestly, if you're going to use TB as an advertising space, at least be more clever about it. this has gotten old very quickly.

robb.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    rcz,
    I'm sorry if I offended you in any way and apologize for doing so if I did. Nevertheless, I'm a bass player FIRST and was participating here at Talkbass before I was a dealer for the great guys I work with now. In fact, I have (and will continue to) recommend other builders outside of those that I work with...I love Fenders (and own several), EBMMs (and own one), Laklands/Skylines, Carl Thompson basses, Sadowsky basses, FBB, Ritter, Peavey, MTD/Kingston, Yamaha, etc. It's all in the archives going back several years. However, it would be irresponsible and outright wrong for me to make a recommendation to someone who is asking for advice when that recommendation, in my opinion, doesn't meet the needs of the player...and I simply wouldn't do that. Despite the fact that I indicated in my original message that there are several, if not many, great choices for Don't_Fret to check out, I felt that a Roscoe would be a good place to start (among others). I realize that some might have the impression that dealers are narrow-minded and unobjective, but I think that you'll see that guys that are in a similar position to me...musicians first, dealers second (Andrian Garcia, Brian Barrett, Gard, etc.) are passionate about the gear and the people we work with and want others to have similar positive experiences. I'm sorry if something different was inferred. :bag: :help:

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Rob,
    Bro, you woke up on the WRONG side of the bed this morning...
    Of the choices you stated i would have to agree with JPJ and choose a LULL a billion times over a Fender P. And a Roscoe over a Casady Skyline.
    Relax bro.
    You could have simply stated your opinion and left it at that.
    Did it ever occur to you he CHOOSES to sell those basses? So to him. They are the best at what they do.
    We wont critizise YOUR opinion so dont critizise someone elses....
    : )

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i know a lot of R&B producers who swear by Precision basses... love 'em to death.

i like P basses, and MTD, and Ken Smith for fat R&B/HipHop/Gospel, but then again, there are some bassists out there who get great phat sounds with Peavey Cirrus, Warwick, etc... so i guess it's all in the fingers/technique???

who do you listen to?

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Cheap solution: P bass
    $$$$$ solution: Roscoe

11. that did occur to me, and in fact, i assume that is the case. a business like his is not beholden to sell fender in order to keep his doors open like a brick and mortar traditional music store. i have no doubt that he believes a Lull P4 (which he will have in stock soon!) or a Roscoe SKB3005 (two of which are in progress and on their way!) are perfect for BOO-TAY.

maybe i'm hypersensitive because he did the same thing the other day, suggesting an eshenbaugh J series bass for someone asking if the EBMM sterling is a good bass. that was certainly a more aggressive move than this, which is admittedly more subtle and less overt.

however, i will recall my post to him the other day, in that thread:

as a retailer, he has a special responsibility to maintain absolute integrity above and beyond the non-manufacturer, non-retailer, just-player members of TB. i know, because i, too, share that responsiblity as an employee of peavey. i generally stay out of discussions about peavey gear. when the temptation is too great, though, i identify myself as a peavey employee to temper any great praise or criticism i might have of our products.

for the sake of myself, my employer, and the objectivity of the debate, i am usually forced to abstain. and unfortunately for JPJ, having crossed the line into retail, he is held to that same standard.

again, maybe i'm being hypersensitive, but i've never noticed anything out of line from him before these last two posts. suddenly the feel of his posts has changed. i don't think he's being dishonest -- repeating myself, i trust that he believes a lull P4 is the best "precision-style" bass -- but i think he's being too aggressive in suggesting only what he sells, and without identifying himself as a dealer, which is absolutely critical.

an example of responsible retailer posting: "i am a dealer for lull basses, so bear that in mind, but i think lull's P4 destroys current P basses -- it flat out nails the vintage P tone, has incredible build quality, and when you need customer support you get to talk directly to Mike Lull, the guy who built it."

you'll notice that example has even more praise for the lull P4 than his original post. but by identifying himself as a dealer, there is no doubt that he stands to benefit from his suggestion, even if he believes it to his core. and thus, the difficult situation is mitigated, the fine line widened.

TB can be a great resource for business simply by making contacts, but it shouldn't be used as a virtual sales floor.

robb.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In the Detroit area, a quick drive by of area churches will show a heavy lean towards Ken Smith basses, a lot of Fender P & J type basses, and the ocassional MTD or Tobias Basic / Classic.

It is pretty clear, however, that the Detroit area "gospel bass of choice" is Ken Smith.

Peace,

James

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sounds like you have a personal thing against JPJ going on here.

14. nope. apart from this, i've had no interaction with him, and no issue with what he's posted in the past. i don't think he's being shady or dishonest, i just think the (previously referred to) thin line needs to be enforced for the sake of TB.

i've said what i need to say. at this point, either the powers that be will do something and i can go on with my life, or nothing will change and i can go on with my life. it's not like i think he should be kicked of off TB or labelled with a scarlet letter.

[/end hijack with apologies for diverting attention from the actual topic at hand]

robb.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    rcz,

I can see where you are coming from, but JPJ is pretty blatant that he's affiliated with blueberry hill bass. Look at his avatar, avatar description and sig. Without knowing anything about him/her/it ;) I got the idea they were connected with this bass site.

I agree there is always room for more clarity but there are plenty of other players / dealers who would respond the same. If Adrian hopped into this thread, he might suggest you check out an F-Bass. Most people know he's a dealer but he doesn't go saying "I'm a dealer for F-Bass ..." with every post he makes, and I'm not sure he should be expected to either.

Just to be as clear as possible, this is all IMHO, YMMV.

16. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    This concerns RCZ and JPJ. First of all, RCZ, You have no right to put down another talkbasser. Second of all, He may LOVE those basses ALONG with selling them. If I found a bass that I adored, I would probably sell them too. Why not make a living off of something that you love? And, finally, JPJ did not use TB as an advertising space, he simply recommended that type of bass. He did not specify where the buyer should get one. If he said "GET A ROSCOE, I HAVE THEM FOR CHEAP, I'M A DIRTY LITTLE ADVERTISING WHORE!!", then that would be a different story, BUT, he didn't.

17. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    I agree also with Malthumb, most bass players in the gospel rim (who can afford it) are using Ken Smith and some MTD basses to deliver that thunderous R&B bottom. A few years back, it was mostly Fender Jazz

18. The Smith's and MTD's are awesome basses. I'm just a little biased to my Roscoe's.. they have been blessed to see the transformation of hundreds of lives!!

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Did you ever thiunk that maybe he suggested them because they are a good suggestion?

A Lull is much better quality than what you find from Fender, even their American basses, though nice, aren't as nice as a P can get.

Ive heard the Epiphone Jack is a nice bass, but I wouldnt recomend that tone for what the poster is asking. I havent played the Ibanez hollow body, but if its anything like the quality of the Ibanez hollow body guitars, well then it doesnt belong in a thread next to names like Roscoe, MTD, Ken Smith.

The first 4 posts recomended a Roscoe, three of them weren't his.

You were the first one to post something other than Roscoe.

I think you are just making a big deal out of something that isnt even there. You know what, even if he was recommending things that he sells and not other things, it doesnt matter as long as they are good recomendations. Help is help, the rest of us can fill in the gaps if we want.

Chill out man.

Peace
    Nick

20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Guys we are spliting hairs here, would the poster be disapointed with a Rosco or a Lull?... I doubt it... would a pbass be a better purchase?... it's not our call. Ultimately it's Don't_fret's decision, he will need to put the effort into shopping around. If he chooses not to shop around and purchases the first Lull he sees is that JPJ's fault?

Would JPJ still recomend a Lull or a Rosco if he didn't work there? Does he play bass?... (rhetorical question).

JPJ-
    I'm guessing your educated on these basses as it's your business. With that said, I think you made a good suggestion, I agree, Lull and Rosco. Are there other choices to consider.... yes.... but as a reply to the original post it was an educated reply due to your experience with these brands.

rcz-
    I understand your response to this... but it's a bit harsh. Maybe it would be better if JPJ never discussed said basses because no matter what someone will see it as promoting HIS product and not giving an honest opinion. BTW have you seen the ads on top and to the left of the forum pages?... To me that's much more forward, e.g. "hot double bass deals" and "Modulus GIVEAWAY, register now! Win your PERFECT bass."

rcz-
    relax, play some scales, have a scotch, twist one up.. whatever.

JPJ-
    good suggestion, I agree.

Don't_fret-
    I suggest Warwick, cuz I play em (thumbs), they sound great for the many styles I play e.g. hiphop/greasy groove/r&b as well as some rock stuff. In addition to whichever bass your choose, I'll also suggest you look into an EQ of sorts, this will assist you in refining your tone as well.

rcz- no beef bro! your still ok by me! ;)