Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boogie 400+ at low volumes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I've been ferociously looking for a head that will be able to cut all of my gigs, from jazz to hard rock. I've heard alot about the 400+ sounding great through big cabs and such, but how does it do at lower volumes? If ran it into, say, an aggie 112, would it totally overpower the cab, even at low volume and gain settings? And if it would run that quietly, would it sound good at all? Hit me back with your opinions.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My Mesa sounds good at any volume. You need to remember that you can always turn down if you are overpowering a cab, but I think the Mesa will sound awesome at any volume.

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    my boogie sounds pretty sweet all around...low or loud. when it's loud it gets really growly...like overdrive. But when it's low...it's pretty clean.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup. Like mine quiet as well as loud.

My cabs right now are a Schroeder 1212 and an Avatar SB112. I've used the amp with both or with either cab without problem...At really quiet volume there's a bit of 'tube ring'...but that's at livingroom/apartment volume.

5. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

what do you mean by "tube ring"? Microphonics, or something else?

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think he means tube tinkleing. If you are close enough to the amp, you can hear the tubes tinkle a little.

7. Thats more just when its warming up or cooling down tho, from what ive noticed anyway

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope.

Tube ring is purely mechanical, and is not related to microphonics, motorboating or heating/cooling.

It literally is the metal 'innards' of the tubes vibrating while sitting on a cab and they 'chime' a bit. It's not amplified through the amp.

Once again, I only hear it at home/livingroom volume, and not at practice room volume or stage volume. I know there are guys here who either put their 400+ amps on something to isolate them a bit, but I'm convinced that the amp is hardy enough and built so solidly that it isn't a problem.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I thought that, but when you stop playing and get real close you can actually hear it. Its hard to hear though...

10. never done that i must admit, i always thought it was just the glass as it changed temp