1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

boogie 400+ - pull tubes for quieter grit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rawrOOO, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rawrOOO

rawrOOO

Jul 12, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    hello all

i'll be doing some overdubs soon with my boogie 400+. id like to record it at a quieter volume than i use for gigs. i know in some fender amps you can pull outside tubes in pairs to bring down the wattage. can you do that trick with a 400+?

id even pull all but 2 if i could, id like to get it at the lowest volume possible. i need it playing thru a cab though, no DI sounds allowed! (im not really playing bass, it's fender VI bass with fuzz and all this guitar-y stuff)

i swear ive seen pics here of people installing switches on their 400+'s that turned off pairs of tubes to get this happening. searching hasnt turned up much

thanks!

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Most studios have some amps-you might ask if they have a B12 or B15. They're lowpowered enough to get some grit without crazy volume. since you're playing Bass VI, maybe a 20-30 watt guitar amp into a bass cab might work. I'm not a fan of pulling tubes to lower power output, particularly with the 400+, which to my knowledge is an amp that doesn't respond well to being messed with in this way.

3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Or, just plug your amp into a Marshall Power Brake. I've used this very successfully with a tube (guitar) amp. No different for a tube bass amp.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productRangeId=26

To the amp, the Power Brake looks like a speaker. But you control the volume going to the actual speaker regardless of how high you have the volume on your amp turned up.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    According to Marshalls web site, that Power Brake is rated for use only "up to 100 watts"...

(related T/B thread)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1446839

5. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    ah... good catch. oh well. :meh:

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    do not pull tubes on the 400+. it will damage the amp. the 400 can, but the 400+ cannot.

7. rawrOOO

rawrOOO

Jul 12, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    cool, thx for the heads up
    any reason why?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021