Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boogie 400+ questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 8, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    hey all, I have a couple of questions regarding the 400+ that i just got:

1. i've read some old threads saying that flat is 0-10-0. I tried this, but it seems like the bass is way rolled off compared to my other amps. 4-5-5 sounds about flat to me... was it ever determined if the 0-10-0 is correct?

2. My channel #1 has significantly less gain that channel #2 ie channel 2 at 6 is about the same as channel 1 at 10. is this normal?

3. Does anyone know the actual difference between #1 & #2 channels? channel 2 seems to have more bass & less treble, but what are the actual reall differences?

4. how do I tell if a tube is bad? despite what i've read here, the 400+ doesn't seem to be overwhelingly loud compared to a few of my other amps. i'm thinking it's possible i have a bad tube or 2....

thanks !!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    1) I dunno, but keep in mind that the cab can also effect the sound. I just tweak until it sounds good.
    2) Same with my channels. I actually usually blend the 2 channels.
    3) Channel 2 is more agressive, it was meant more for passive basses while channel 1 is more meant for active. The voicing is a bit different. Channel 1 sounds more natural to me.
    4) My 400+ sounds louder than most other heads I've tried, even other 300 watt tube heads. It takes a good 1200 watt SS power amp to sound louder to my ears than my 400+. Take it into a tech maybe?

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Exactly what Plain Old Me said.

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Thanks for the info !

so does anyone know how to tell if a tube is bad.....

..or the technical diff between the 2 channels?

..or any thoughts on what flat is on the eq?

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    If you run a search you will find heaps of answers to your quesion about "flat"- even as recently as the last fortnight. The consensus seems to be that 2 - 10 - 2 is flat, as the mid control is a cut only but I would say just use your ears - it takes a while to become familiar with all the tone options. Regarding your question aout power, I have a new 400+(currently being repaired for a faulty standby switch, unfortunately), and my initial reaction also was that it appeared a little underpowered for 300 tube watts. However, once you become familiar with the controls you will find that there is a ton of grunt there, depending on your setting. Mesa Boogie do say in the manual that there is no need to run the master past five, but I do am not sure about that. If you go the Mesa Boogie site you can download a manual that explains the difference between the two channels. I have definitely found that running the two together with a Y cord or A+B foot pedal gives a far superior tone, to my ears. Hope this helps, Tim.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No idea what is flat, although I have read 2,10,2 many places. I tend to run mine around (mid)4, bass(5), treble (5)
    with both the bass and treble knobs pulled out. It gives a great grinding rock tone, but maintains clarity.