1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

boogie 400+ questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 8, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    hey all, I have a couple of questions regarding the 400+ that i just got:

1. i've read some old threads saying that flat is 0-10-0. I tried this, but it seems like the bass is way rolled off compared to my other amps. 4-5-5 sounds about flat to me... was it ever determined if the 0-10-0 is correct?

2. My channel #1 has significantly less gain that channel #2 ie channel 2 at 6 is about the same as channel 1 at 10. is this normal?

3. Does anyone know the actual difference between #1 & #2 channels? channel 2 seems to have more bass & less treble, but what are the actual reall differences?

4. how do I tell if a tube is bad? despite what i've read here, the 400+ doesn't seem to be overwhelingly loud compared to a few of my other amps. i'm thinking it's possible i have a bad tube or 2....

thanks !!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    1) I dunno, but keep in mind that the cab can also effect the sound. I just tweak until it sounds good.
    2) Same with my channels. I actually usually blend the 2 channels.
    3) Channel 2 is more agressive, it was meant more for passive basses while channel 1 is more meant for active. The voicing is a bit different. Channel 1 sounds more natural to me.
    4) My 400+ sounds louder than most other heads I've tried, even other 300 watt tube heads. It takes a good 1200 watt SS power amp to sound louder to my ears than my 400+. Take it into a tech maybe?

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Exactly what Plain Old Me said.

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Thanks for the info !

so does anyone know how to tell if a tube is bad.....

..or the technical diff between the 2 channels?

..or any thoughts on what flat is on the eq?

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    If you run a search you will find heaps of answers to your quesion about "flat"- even as recently as the last fortnight. The consensus seems to be that 2 - 10 - 2 is flat, as the mid control is a cut only but I would say just use your ears - it takes a while to become familiar with all the tone options. Regarding your question aout power, I have a new 400+(currently being repaired for a faulty standby switch, unfortunately), and my initial reaction also was that it appeared a little underpowered for 300 tube watts. However, once you become familiar with the controls you will find that there is a ton of grunt there, depending on your setting. Mesa Boogie do say in the manual that there is no need to run the master past five, but I do am not sure about that. If you go the Mesa Boogie site you can download a manual that explains the difference between the two channels. I have definitely found that running the two together with a Y cord or A+B foot pedal gives a far superior tone, to my ears. Hope this helps, Tim.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No idea what is flat, although I have read 2,10,2 many places. I tend to run mine around (mid)4, bass(5), treble (5)
    with both the bass and treble knobs pulled out. It gives a great grinding rock tone, but maintains clarity.