Boogie 400+ with SWR cabs...good/bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thunderBoltz, Aug 5, 2004.

1. hiya,

i'm looking to pick up a 400+ and was wondering if anyone had any expirience using that puppy with SWR cabs (i have two 4x10's and a 2x15, and these are slightly older style cabs, the 1st chrome grill, the "1st" goliath III, and big bertha). usually i use just one MAYBE two cabs.

a concern is that the SWR cabs like a lot of power (each one is 700w rms) and the 400+ kicks 300ish watts i underpowering the cabs?? any issues with that?? :confused:

i have also heard some comments on the muddyness of this particular setup, seems strange since SWR stuff is fairly hi-fi. what's it sound like?

thanks much!
  2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've used a Mesa M-Pulse 600 with a SWR Goliath III and Goliath Jr. III and got a great sound. I suppose that the 400+ sound is slightly warmer sounding but the sound would still be similar.
  3. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I don't think it'd be a bad idea in terms of the amount of power. A couple of 700W cabs would probably be a good match for a 400+.

Underpowering is more when you run a solid state head into a cab that has a higher rating than your amp. Subsequently you can turn your amp up really high and it starts clipping and then ruining your cab. That was the $2 explanation for underpowering - I'm sure others could put it much better.
  4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    You won't be underpowering the cabs with 400 tube watts. Secondly, SWR's Professional Series cabs are pretty efficient. So taking those facts into consideration, don't worry- You'll be freakin' LOUD. :bassist:

Oh, and I ran my Goliath Jr.III with a Challenger all-tube head for awhile and it sounded purrrfect! :cool:
  5. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I can second that. My Goliath Jnr III 2x10 can take a hell of a lot of punishment from my Trace V8. I've been really suprised by it. This is from an amp that I would expect to be able to power an 8x10 ... or two.
  6. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Dude, the Mesa 400+ is the loudest amp I've ever played fact...when I bought it i went to Guitar Center with a credit card and played every combination of cabinet and amp (no matter what the cost) just looking for the LOUDEST rig I could get....ended up being the Mesa 400+ and an Ampeg 8x10". The Mesa was overpowering all the SWR cabs...they'd all fart out before getting very loud. In short, don't you worry about underpowering with the's a very loud amp (to say the least)
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, it's 300 watts. Watts are watts are watts, until the amp starts distorting. That's when you run in to trouble underpowering cabs - with tube amps it's ok to overdrive them, but not solid state. When a tube distorts, it's a "soft" distortion, and the signal doesn't go completely square wave. On a solid state amp, when the power section distorts, it hits it's threshold, and makes some fugly noises. Essentially what is happening is it tells your speaker to extend, but never tells it to come back the other way. After extended use under these circumstances, you could possibly melt the voice coils in the speakers. Underpowering a cab with a tube amp is generally ok, but usually it's bad news with a SS amp.

Long story short - a 400+ should be just fine with some SWR cabs.
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I run my 400+ into an SWR 6x10 and's awesome.