Boogie-Avatar question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Dec 23, 2004.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    I'm running a Mesa Boogie 400+ into an Avatar CB-112. Does it make sense that I have to crank my Boogie up to about 8-9 on the Input and Master to be heard? We're a somewhat loud band but not insanely loud.

Is this because the Avatar speaker - being rated at 500 watts - needs a lot of juice to open up?

If I were to use an Aguilar or SWR or Mesa cab do you think my volume would be set much lower?
  2. Doesn't make should have blown the speaker long ago with that much pre/master volume. I play the Berg 6x10 with one, my pre's at about 6 with Master at 2 and it's too loud.

Is it an 8 ohm cab and are you using the 8 ohm jack? Using the right type of speaker cable? What are your EQ's set at? Where are your knobs? Any of the Bright switches pulled?

and sorry for the obvious the volume on your bass turned up all the way?

Do you play with pedals that have volume control?

Basically, if you just go Bass, Amp, Cab with the EQ set perfectly flat and using a good speaker cable, is there still a problem? Then you might have a tube issue.
  3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    My guess is that you are fighting physics. Loud and 1x12 don't really belong together. Now if you add another cabinet, you'd be all set. You've got enough power, you just need more square inches.
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well if the amp 'just' puts out 300W, even pushed way into distortion it'll still be less than the 500W that the speaker can dissipate without burning up. The Berg 6x10" is so much more efficient than the Avatar 1x12" that it'll easily get too loud without the amp having to even try whilst the Avatar will suck up every last watt without being heard over a loud band.

Exactly! Add another Avatar 1x12" and the difference will be huge, due to the increased surface area and low frequency coupling. I've witnessed this first hand with my matching Acme 2x10" cabs - two cabs are so much louder and bigger sounding than one, much greater than the sum of the parts.