Boogie Buster Bass Power tubes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 4, 2005.

1. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I've been reasearching this head and and have read more than enough about it to know that it distorts at a decent volume. I was wondering if there is a remedy for this. I was wondering if the solution to more power for the Bass 400 could be applied here.

Could you replace the tubes in the Buster Bass 200 with 6550s and add more power like in the Bass 400?

What about the KT66 tubes?

Would the transformer(s) be capable of producing more power with tubes other than the 6L6?
  2. That comes with 6L6 power tubes I believe.

You couldn't pop in 6550's because the heater filaments draw 1/2 amp more current--each....I doubt the power transformer could handle the extra filament current draw....
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    What I've been told is you can't put 6550's in an amp that was only designed for 6L6's, and get more power...something about the voltage plate not being enough, or something. Maybe Psycho Bass Guy will read this and chime in.

(but you can put 6L6's in an amp originally designed for 6550 to run lower power).

I've owned a D180 which is the same as the Buster (six 6L6 and 200w), and I've also run my Bass400 with just 6L6's, both amps had been pushed to loud volumes, many times even used as stand alone bass amplifiers outdoors with no PA, and they don't distort.
    How do you have your volume knobs set up?
    Is your input cranked high and the master set low? That will make it easily distort. I run mine master set high (8,9,10) and the input set low (2,2.5,2.75).

Also, what kind of cabinet are you using?
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Only on certain amps can you swap 6550s & 6L6s. On Ampeg V4(B)s, Mesa 400, and amps like that you can, but sometimes there needs to be slight modifications. (6L6s have 6 pins, 6550s have 7). I tried putting 6L6s in my Sunn once, made a really pretty light show, but no sound, and the tube was kaput after that. :bawl:
  5. Actually the 6L6 and 6550 tubes (as well as the 7027) have the same number of pins. Some old amps such as my Ampeg V4--and I believe some of the Sunns--used the 7027 tube which is essentially the 6L6 but the wiring on one of the pins is different. That particular pin wasn't used on the Ampeg V4, so you could plug a 6L6 or a 6550 into a V4 without fear of an immediate catastrophe! However, if you plugged a 6L6 or 6550 into an amp that was wired to use that particular pin on the 7027...bad thing happen.

Lord Valve has a page on his site explaining the 7027 versus 6L6 versus 6550 swapout. The Ampeg V4 was one of the few amps that could get such a swapout.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

That's funny, my RCA 6550s have 7 pins, but the Groove Tubes (yuck) 6L6s I had had only 6 pins. :confused:
  7. ...and you'll see old 6V6's that look to be missing several pins, etc, etc; the pins are not used or are duplicates, so they're not needed and were omitted to save money in manufacturing. The MOST important thing to remember, like nashville bill said, is to not draw too much heater current and 6550's draw nearly twice what 6L6's do. That's a great way to burn out a power transformer.

If you want more punch out of your Buster, you're pretty much limited to the 6L6GC immediate family. If your amp is distorting too soon, it may not be a tube problem. If the bias is set too high, the amp won't put out near full power and Mesa is famous for biasing their tubes VERY 'cold.'

If your amp doesn't sound right, take it to a tech FIRST and replace tubes only as necessary.
  8. What Psycho said.

The 6L6/7027/6550 family all uses an octal (8 pin socket) like this one:

But if you look at the RCA tube manual for these tubes, you will see that not all pins are used. Nevertheless, they all physically will fit the socket....however, if the socket has been wired to use one of the odd pins like on the 7027....boom boom, out go the lights.