Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boogie M-Pulse

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundance, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    Is it really a good amp for $1300? I'm probably going to have to wait til next summer to get a job to afford it (college music major) but is it really THAT much better than other amps out there for less? I played it and the Walkabout at Guitar Center, compared them with the SWR's and Ampeg SVT's and liked the Mesas the best for the controllability of the EQ and overall balance and fullness. I'm not really experienced at hearing the differences in amps, sinced this is pretty much my first serious amp, so are there any other options that might be better? The other brands the retailers around my area carry are Edens (plan to try them out soon), Behringer, Fender, and Peavey are all I can think of that sell new ones (whatever else Guitar Center carries that I don't remember too). Also some pretty renowned used gear stores in the area (I'm in the Baltimore area, so DC counts) that carry varieties of used stuff. I'm planning on using the amp on 2 ampeg 15 inch cabs, seperate (or together if I decide to fork out the cash to combine them, since they were originally one unit but were taken apart by the previous owner) at 400/8ohm each. Thanks.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, pretty large plunk-down for a first rig! You definitely do not have a typical college music major budget with the M-Pulse in your sights! But you do have good taste hehe...

I would personally have to say that going straight into an M-Pulse (at those prices especially) from never had a serious amp is a big step. For me (and only me) it would have been too big. I would only now invest $1,300 in an amp if I am sure it can do much more than what I used to have. But had I never of owned $400-$800 amps, I never would have gotten the acquired tastes and preferences I have now to know for sure I would be happier with spending twice as much. And I'm still working on it.

But hey! What do I know. Nothing. That M-Pulse is awesome. I wish it wasn't so parametric-EQ style, but I heard it's pretty flexible. I heard a Walkabout the other day too...VERY nice sounding...and LOUD at 300 watts! (I think that's very, very conservatively rated)

I just got my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and I like it a lot. Lots of power and tonal flexibility. It weighs a ton, but oh well. But them M-Pulses have got my GAS on overdrive! Literally!
    :hyper:

-T

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Used. Pure genius.

The hunt is on.

And GAS really, really makes me stupid.

:ninja:

-T

EDIT: BTW, anyone hear that Mesa Big Block 750 bad@ss mofo? That looks completely scary... :crying:

I WANT IT!

4. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    Of course the amp itself isn't for "college", I was more looking for one that could be heard if I chose (and want, anyway) to do concerts outside. Also I currently play with a pretty loud drummer and am having trouble being heard over him. Currently I'm working with a Peavey Basic 112 combo, which will just barely and decently work for practicing and recording (though I'd rather have something better for seroius recording). I do have time to save up for it though, since my current band won't last since we're all going to seperate places for school (though some closeby). I'd try and get something together to at least play with at the college I'm going to, but hopefully not enough to demand a bigger sound. I was planning on buying a cheap 300 watt Behringer amp to run one speaker through, but even that little cash might be better saved for something better.

5. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    Eh, yeah, used could work. I can use that "Guitar Center credit card" though (if it's not a huge scam) to get the amp right before I get a steady income though, and get the thing a few months earlier than I would have to online. If I really need it fast, that is. Which time will tell. And assuming Guitar Center doesn't want someone with 20 years of stable credit history and a steady job to sell a card to (but since they're catering to musicians, I doubt thats the case).

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GC card is based purely off income and credit history. I should know...I'm probably putting some guys kids through college, over and over again. :crying:

Anyway, ehh, the GC card is not completely a scam. What I do like about it is the often 15 months no interest, no payment deal they have on most gear over a certain amount of money...your Mesa would definitely qualify when they offer it. Then you get to pay it back at your leisure, though I highly suggest not to delay too much. Because...

The bad part: The interest is pretty high. Especially if you don't have too much of a credit history or high income. When I first got it, I didn't have too much income, nor did I have too much credit history, though my history was positive.

Just watch out for that interest %. I'm sure most of ALL of us who have ever shopped at GC with that card can attest to that. Yikes!

-T

7. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    Any more opinions or input?

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I bought mine last August, brand new with a partial trade in of my mostly-working M2000, and have been mostly happy about the switch. However, my new band currently requires me to have more sounds, so I'm looking to trade back to an M2000. But, the M-Pulse is a killer amp, but I wouldn't suggest buying one new, as it's a new model amp, and the used ones are usually a year or less than that old. It does everything that a single-channel amp can do. The 5-band parametric is a killer feature, as is the Solo and Compression, and EQ and FX Loop are all footswitchable. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. It has gobs of clean power, and sounds just perfect direct into the board when recording.

Pick up a used one. Don't pay over $900 shipped.

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have one and I love it. I had an Eden WT-550 and an SWR550x before I settled on the Mesa. Better? It's all a matter of personal preferences and tastes. For me, the Mesa is much louder than the Eden and the SWR. It's also much easier to get killer tone from it. I'm very happy and I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon. :D