1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boogie on Reggae Woman (need good effect)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmanbcc, Nov 29, 2006.

1. bassmanbcc

bassmanbcc

Nov 29, 2006
    Hi everyone. I am new here and wonder if you all can help me out. Trying to get that bass synth sound that Stevie Wonder has on Boogie on Reggae Woman. I have a Digitech Synth Wah and can't get the sound I'm after. Has anyone found the right effect unit to get that sound?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Brian

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi and welcome! GREAT TUNE!
    I don't have any experience with the digitech synth wah.
    I play that tune using 3 FX in a loop

here's the order -
    Crowther Prunes&Custard into EBS OctaBass into EH Q-tron

it get's me pretty close.

what kind of bass are you using?

3. bassmanbcc

bassmanbcc

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks for the reply! I am using my Ken Smith, but I have a P-bass, couple Jazz basses, MM Stringray, Zon.

I don't have any of those effects you mentioned. I was wondering if there is one effect that would get me there? I don't use effects much so I have little experience with them.

Thanks again!
    Brian

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    mmmmmm Ken Smith basses..yum :)

well, I'm pretty sure the sound on the record is a keyboard..
    to get that sound from a bass...we need some synth like distortion, a bit of envelope and an octave down type of effect

does that sound right to you?
    I know that I get pretty close with those FX.
    I always wanted to try the Akai Deep Impact synth pedal for this tune..but can't get my hands on one.

sorry, I'm not much help....the guys here are FX gurus..someone will chime in with some help on this one.

boogie on!

5. bassmanbcc

bassmanbcc

Nov 29, 2006
    Would the Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer do the trick???

6. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Forget the effects. Listen to Marcus Miller play it. You don't need any effects to make that tune sound right, just funky bass. I play that tune regularly and don't use anything.

That said, try a good octave effect and then into some sort of phaser/flanger/chorus. When you play the tune, play it an octave higher. The octave (down) pedal will add in the lows and will work better if you play an octave up. When ever I have to emulate a synth I use a FoxRox Octron into a flanger. The Octron will give you an Octave Up that is a little distorted, and Octave Down, and your regular dry bass. You mix the three signals with the three knobs on the pedal. I've never played a better Octave pedal than the Octron (and I've tried most of the popular ones out there).

7. bassmanbcc

bassmanbcc

Nov 29, 2006
    Yeah, the MM version is awesome for sure! However, the band I am filling in with is doing the Stevie version and they want the synth part if possible.

I heard the Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer is what would give the effect I'm after.

Just wondering what effects would work or what you all have used.

Thanks!
    Brian

8. Yeah it would probably work, then you could put the bass synth wah with it to get the filter part right.

9. you could go all out and get some of those MOOG effects pedals and then you would nail the sound. But those things are really expensive.

Great song by the way.

10. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    ...have had it in my mind to throw it in my set for some time. Without going into specifics, I'd personally try to cop that clavinet tone, maybe w/ just a touch of flange...

11. My feeling is that a moogerfooger will get you closer than a microsynth, but nobody has been able to really pull off that clav tone as far as I'm aware. A lot of cash to drop on getting one cover song to sound right!

12. +1

maybe a combo of the moog low pass filter and the MURF could do it?

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You could always get a small keyboard synth and play it. Trying to get it on a bass you may never get as close and as controlled as you'd like. You'd still be a musician, and technically a bass player if you're playing bass parts.
    The Alesis Micron is pretty cool, and hot right now.
    If you're just practicing at home with a computer, there are plenty of synth plugins, include ones that accurately model the synths used at that time.

14. laxking77 likes this.
  15. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Use position 4 on the bass synth wah: play around with the knobs around the middle position and there you have it. I also use position 7 with the knobs at 11 oclock, 1 oclock and 2 oclock (left to right) for a fat minimoog type of sound

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Tell them to have the keyboardist play it then!

Seriously, even with an effect on your bass, it'll never sound the same. There's way too much keyboard quirkiness going on to cop that exact feel. Wasn't Stevie using Fairlights and Moogs back then? If I had to try, I think I'd use an Octobass and an envelope filter of some sort.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Great example. Not sure if he was in the right key but I'd play it an octave lower. Nice unit. I think the Octabass and envelope filter would get you pretty close as well.

18. Fishyfan

Fishyfan

Jul 8, 2009
    Stevie Wonder was using what possibly is the largest modular synth ever on that song. Its name was TONTO. short for The Original Neo-Timbral Orchestra. It started life as a Moog System III modular. Then a second System III that had survived a fire was added. It grew from there to include modules from Serge, ARP, EMS, Oberheim, and many custom devices. It was built, ran, and maintained by Malcom Cecil and Robert Margouillef. When Stevie recorded that track, Stevie played one of the keyboards, as Malcom and Robert ran around twiddling knobs and a ribbon controller to add expression and keep it in tune. TONTO is currently residing in upstate New York in its own studio. It is a truly awesome sight. It also made its way into The Phantom Of The Paradise, a somewhat twisted movie that also featured a man getting caught inside a record press.

TONTO and Stevie Wonder:

I know there are better shots of TONTO in The Phantom Of The Paradise, I just cant find them.

19. Chadwickw

Chadwickw

Jan 8, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey all,

For anyone who has used the microsynth pedal on this tune, could you talk about your settings? I've played around with a bunch of different ideas, but can't quite emulate what Ed Friedland's doing in his video. Would love some suggestions.

Thanks!

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, but the way the octave slider works on the BMS might make that position more accurate than in the original position. Just food for thought.