1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

boogie powerhouse cab tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnydenver, Mar 11, 2009.

1. johnnydenver

johnnydenver

Apr 14, 2008
    i fried the tweet a year ago. there are a couple other threads i've seen today about disabling tweets, but i'm wondering if anyone knows anything specific about this cab - since i destroyed it by accidentally having the output on a distortion pedal too hot.

the impedance load my amp sees will not change, right?

and i'm only missing the highest high frequencies? i didn't like the horn anyway, but now o wonder if it's not cool to have the damaged circuit / tweeter in use...

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I have a Powerhouse 610, and I've disconnected one of the tweeter's feed wires at the tweeter itself a couple of times, and it didn't hurt anything - and wouldn't change the cab's impedence... In fact, to me the cab sounded better with the tweeter totally disconnected than when connected and it's level turned all the way down... I ended up hooking it back up, as I preferred having it on in a band setting, but those are my experiences on the subject...

- georgestrings

3. johnnydenver

johnnydenver

Apr 14, 2008
    thanks.

so how 'bout this:

if you blow a driver in a cab - like really fry the driver, will the amp see the same impedance in that case as well?

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

No - that'll definitely change the impedence...

- georgestrings

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  6. johnnydenver

johnnydenver

Apr 14, 2008
  7. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    In general, yes. But not in the case of a tweeter fed by a crossover. Below the tweeter crossover frequency the amp just sees the impedance of the woofer (assuming no midrange). For example in a 2-way design with a 2Khz crossover frequency, assuming both woofer and tweeter are 8 ohms nominal impedance, below 2 Khz the amp essentially sees the 8 ohms presented by the woofer, and above 2Khz the amp sees the 8 ohms presented by the tweeter (correct to a first order). It's a bit more complicated in the crossover region, but for all practical purposes, that's the way to think about it.

8. johnnydenver

johnnydenver

Apr 14, 2008
    i just want to be sure that while i run two 8 ohm cabs, one with a fried tweeter, that my amp is experiencing a 4 ohm load....is this the conclusion we have come to?

thanks...

-J