Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boogie Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, May 6, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    What do you think it would take to get Mesa-Boogie to offer a rack-mount version of the 400+ preamp section? Ask them, I suppose. That would totally rock! If they did that, I think I'd have to start a preamp collection! It would have so much ROCK that all the others would tap out in submission from the sonic rear-naked choke that it would put on 'em. 'cept the Alembic, of course!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'm not sure but i bet that preamp sound is buried deep within the plethora of knobs in the M-2000.

Plus, i'd also bet that a good deal of the 400+'s tone comes from the tubes in the poweramp.

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I bet your right to some extent about the power tube thang, but I know that (what is it, 4 or 6?) the multiple preamp tubes and EQ circuitry are a big part as well. Aren't they modeled after a Fender Bassman preamp stage? Or am I mistaking it with another preamp? I just know that I'd love to have one! Maybe after my other stuff is paid for, I'll just get a 400+.
    I think I'll call Boogie. They seem like nice folks!

4. Oh God let's not go there AGAIN shall we? Hugh Jazz did a great long thread for us all on trying to eke a 400+ sound from a M-2000. I have one and it's a great amp that comes with a free headache for any trying to find "their" tone. Someday i will find mine, I will dammit! If you search you will find the 400+ schematic in either his or I's posts as well.. the M-2000 schematic is somewhere on TB as well. Mesa are awfully freindly and offer excellent tech support. I'm thinking the preamp design is very close to a Showman which is very close to an Alembic F2-B. Some day I'm going to commission someone to build that 400+ preamp for me! See if you can't find the schematics under AMPS somewhere, about 6-7 weks ago?

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    How do you do that? Just do a search for the 400+, or is there another, easier way to find the schematics? I tell the kids that too much TV rots their brains. I think this forum is my TV.
    On a different note, I taught them why smooth Jaaaazzz" stinks. They play it at Wal Mart.:D

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I don' t know if there's a schematic for the 400+ on here. You can download that amp simulator (or whatever it is) software that I used to make the charts in a thread last month. That has the schematics on there for the Fender Showman pre's circuitry.

Mad Sub: Could you happen to tell me the frequency centers of the rotary tone knobs on the M-2000, mainly the SS side?

Thanks,

H.J.

7. I can after May 25..remind me then? I am on the road w/o my amp right now. I have them taped to the front of my amp...
    That schematic is on TB somewhere...I have both the 400+ and the M-2000 on my computer at home, again after the 25th.

8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    No problemo.