1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boogie Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, May 6, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    What do you think it would take to get Mesa-Boogie to offer a rack-mount version of the 400+ preamp section? Ask them, I suppose. That would totally rock! If they did that, I think I'd have to start a preamp collection! It would have so much ROCK that all the others would tap out in submission from the sonic rear-naked choke that it would put on 'em. 'cept the Alembic, of course!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'm not sure but i bet that preamp sound is buried deep within the plethora of knobs in the M-2000.

Plus, i'd also bet that a good deal of the 400+'s tone comes from the tubes in the poweramp.

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I bet your right to some extent about the power tube thang, but I know that (what is it, 4 or 6?) the multiple preamp tubes and EQ circuitry are a big part as well. Aren't they modeled after a Fender Bassman preamp stage? Or am I mistaking it with another preamp? I just know that I'd love to have one! Maybe after my other stuff is paid for, I'll just get a 400+.
    I think I'll call Boogie. They seem like nice folks!

4. Oh God let's not go there AGAIN shall we? Hugh Jazz did a great long thread for us all on trying to eke a 400+ sound from a M-2000. I have one and it's a great amp that comes with a free headache for any trying to find "their" tone. Someday i will find mine, I will dammit! If you search you will find the 400+ schematic in either his or I's posts as well.. the M-2000 schematic is somewhere on TB as well. Mesa are awfully freindly and offer excellent tech support. I'm thinking the preamp design is very close to a Showman which is very close to an Alembic F2-B. Some day I'm going to commission someone to build that 400+ preamp for me! See if you can't find the schematics under AMPS somewhere, about 6-7 weks ago?

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    How do you do that? Just do a search for the 400+, or is there another, easier way to find the schematics? I tell the kids that too much TV rots their brains. I think this forum is my TV.
    On a different note, I taught them why smooth Jaaaazzz" stinks. They play it at Wal Mart.:D

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I don' t know if there's a schematic for the 400+ on here. You can download that amp simulator (or whatever it is) software that I used to make the charts in a thread last month. That has the schematics on there for the Fender Showman pre's circuitry.

Mad Sub: Could you happen to tell me the frequency centers of the rotary tone knobs on the M-2000, mainly the SS side?

Thanks,

H.J.

7. I can after May 25..remind me then? I am on the road w/o my amp right now. I have them taped to the front of my amp...
    That schematic is on TB somewhere...I have both the 400+ and the M-2000 on my computer at home, again after the 25th.

8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    No problemo.