1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Book focused on building chops & soloing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The Metal Guy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    Do any of these exist? I want a book that focuses on exercises for building chops and metal soloing.

Any recommendations are welcome, thanks a bunch.

2. i dont know of any specific books, and you might get sick of hearing this, but learning and practicing the scales and modes can sure help with both. you can practice playing faster, do it with a 'nome, to build yo chops.

as for metal soloing, it will help you greatly to know the different scales and modes when it comes to writing your own solos.

something else you might wana try is to sit down and learn a metal solo, it can be a guitar solo if u want, just play it on your bass a couple octaves lower. learning other player's solos can be good because there are lots of little nuggets in each one that u can rip off an incorporate into your own playing.

3. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    I already sit with my buddy the metronome and speed through scales. But thanks for the advice anyway.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Too play fast you have to practice slow and precise. Otherwise you are going to play slop in practice and on the gig.