book for beginner

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by buldog5151bass, Jan 26, 2004.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Although I've done a fair amount of woodworking (built furniture and similar), I've never made a guitar. For my first project, I'm looking for something fairly simple - putting premade parts (Warmoth, etc), and seeing how it goes from there. I'm not looking to do the body-carving and everything the first time, but wanted to see what it's like.

Anybody have ideas for a good book (or other source) to get me going?

2. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I think stewmac has a book on assembling a guitar, which could be helpful. Never looked through it, though.

The three books I've read are:

Melvyn Hiscock, "Make Your Own Electric Guitar." Good detail in nicely written text. Probably the most recommend book.

Dennis Waring & David Raymond, "Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass." This one has the best pictures of the three, but the least in-depth discussion concering the why's and wherefore's of the craft.

Martin Koch, "Building Electric Guitars." This is my favorite of the three. While it covers all the same things as the others, he goes into more options, more details (I think his is the only one covering scarf joints) and presents good ideas on jigs. The downside is that the pictures are poorly reproduced. You can somewhat remedy that by looking at his website,

Amazon carries all three, and even my local library had the Hiscock book.