Book for beginners on upright bass

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Lenny Nichols, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Lenny Nichols

Lenny Nichols Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    I've looked through the threads and didn't see (or missed) what I'm looking for. I've played upright and guitar bass for many years. Now my 9 year old grandson wants me to teach him. I've never taught bass, and had very few lessons myself. I'm looking for a good beginner's book that I can lead him through. I know he'll need a 1/4 sized bass for now. Any suggestions on books for the beginning student AND beginning teacher?

Thanks, Leni

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Suzuki has a Double Bass series.

Get him to a teacher for bowing, unless you are qualified.

Then, off to Simandl, Rabbath, Vance...

3. Lenny Nichols

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    Thanks, Stick_Player. I saw the Suzuki series, and wondered about them. I think I'll get the first one or two. I can bow well enough to get me through a church orchestra musical once or twice a year and an occasional ballad. I hope to get him started without discouraging him and then find a 'real' teacher.

Leni

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I think Stick Player's point was that it might be better to get him to the "real" teacher first. Bad habits in bowing are very difficult to break. Rabbath doesn't even allow his beginning students to use a bow when practicing at home the first month (or so) . . . the only time they touch the bow is when he is right there with them to direct their bow hand and bow strokes.

5. Lenny Nichols

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    Yeah, that might be a good idea. I'll start him off with no bow, and start looking for a 'real' teacher.

Leni

6. evanhillis

evanhillis

Jul 26, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard the George Vance books highly recommended by some great teachers and players for beginners. You can find them on Amazon if you just search his name. Check them out!

7. Charley Sabatino

Charley Sabatino

Jan 25, 2006
    Bayside, NY
    Endorsed by Lakland, Hartke, SIT, Kahler , Igig and Lathon Bass Wear
    a teacher is a good idea...posture is as important in playing upright as any theory or technique...poor posture will cause frustration and possibly injury....

With proper posture, comes better playing....
    Lots of luck!!!

8. helina

helina

May 7, 2014
    India
    Thanks for this useful information.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021