Book of Scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Anyone know of a book with all the scales in it? I'm not looking for a method book, just the scales.
  2. Slonimsky Has 'em all.
  3. I think you can find scales at check under free lessons (lesson central) way down the page.

[Edited by bassdude on 02-08-2001 at 09:32 PM]
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The ideal book is:

Scales and Modes for Bass Guitar" by Steve Hall and Ron Manus. Alfred Publishing, 48 pages. $6.95

The book is in both tablature and standard notation.

jason oldsted
  5. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    The Melodic Bass Library by Jimmy Hasslip and the Bass Grimoire...lots of stuff there, check 'em out!
  6. Boplicity

Oh, yeah, I forgot The Bass Grimoire...all you ever wanted to know about scales and modes and then some. Are you familiar with the Hungarian Minor, the Enigmatic scale or the Kumoi scale, for example?

This encyclopedia of scales also contains every imaginable chord formula and an explanation of the cycle of fifths. What sets this book apart is that it does not use either tablature or standard notation, but instead uses fretboard diagrams showing how the scale is played on the entire fretboard> It also shows how to play the same scale on a keyboard!

The Bass Grimoire by Adam Kadmon, Carl Fischer Publishing, 1996, 141 pages, $17.95

If that book is MORE than you want, check out the compact, spiral boundgig bag book.

The Gig Bag Book of Bass Scales: Joe Dineen and Mark Bridges; Amsco Publications, 173 pages, $11.95

This book has one scale per page, written in tab, standard notation and fretboard diagrams showing notes up to the twelth fret. This book does not tell you what chords the scales are commonly associated with, nor does it show you anything about chords or how they are formed or played. Scales, just scales, but that is what you asked for.

jason oldsted

[Edited by JasonOldsted on 02-09-2001 at 11:35 AM]
  7. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Another vote for Bass Grimoire J.O. I'm glad you brought it up cause i knew i couldn't spell it. A lot of method books cant help but cover this stuff. Try Rufus Reed...

8. Hey guys thanks alot. That Grimoire book sounds like the one I want, did you guys use it?
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used it a lot some time back, especially for verifying my 'self-made' scale and fingering charts, very useful for that - and for checking out those strange and enticing scales...
  10. Boplicity

I've used the Bass Grimoire more like a reference encyclopedia of scales and chords for bass. It is very complex though. If you want something less intimidating, other books mentioned above may be far better for you...easier to understand and more practical.

jason oldsted