Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Book Suggestions for little kids

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BigWig Will, May 17, 2003.

1. Ok guys, lissen up.

Hi.

I'll be heading off to my summer job in a few weeks. I'm returning to a summer camp I've been going to for the past 7 years. I'm going to be a full-fledged counselor...with campers and a tent and everything! This is going to be my first time dealing with kids in a tent all by my lonesome. Last year I was a CIT(of sorts) and i subbed for a cabin when the regular counselor when he had days off etc. But now I won't be able to hand the kids off to someone else when I'm sick of them. *sigh* Oh well...

So I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good books to read them at night time. These kids are going to be ages 10-12 or so. I tried reading them "Naked Lunch" by Burroughs and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevksy. Unfortunately...these resulted in them becoming paranoid, foul-mouthed, depressed, amoral delinquents. So I'm hoping for better results this year.

Anyone have any good suggestions for books to read these kids? Something along the line of Ender's Game (most of the kids have already read that one) or Redwall? (ditto)

Any help is appreciated.

PS: Before any of you think of being smart-asses, no I can't read them "Letters of Penthouse"...my mom's not supposed to know I have that. :meh:

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    There is a series of books about Sideways School or something like that. It might be Sideways stories from eastside school or something. I really cant remember. But its jsut a bunch of short stories about this really wierd & wacky school. Try and find it at a public library. They were my favorites when i was young.

3. OOO! I remember those books! Good stories. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The "Great Illistrated Classics" series...

They have books about 230 pages long, bigger print, and pictures... all are condensed versions.

The 3 Musketeers, Kidnapped, Ivanhoe, Oliver Twist, The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood, The Call of the Wild etc...

Those are great books. I still read them and I've had them since I was in 1st grade.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn.

Hank the Cowdog (it's a series) usually gets good results, as does the Dealing With Dragons series.

The Theif of Always by Clive Barker is an awesome book (it's a sort-of childrens book. Highly reccomended for the 12 year olds).

Oh, and it's Sideways Stories from Wayside School (have all 2 or 3 of them...)

Bruce Coville (sp?) makes some neat books, like Goblins in the Castle.

6. when my oldest was between those ages, he loved to read the 3 musketeers, biographies, yes, he likes biographies, especially history and music ones, goosebumps, gosh, has been a couple years.
    my youngest who is 12, has to have books that capture him. he likes books about dragons (scifi), harry potter, scholastic books. holes, silent to the bone. holes is actually a very good book. so is the movie. holes and silent to the bone are scholastic books. look into that area also. make sure you stay on their level, not yours. don't read what you just would be interested in, remember they are kids.:D

7. Hmm. I guess you're right. It's just hard for me to imagine that kids DON'T want to read about the psychological questioning, otherworldly rantings and harsh examination of the bestial nature of humans. Or what about the drug-induced, schizophrenic paranoid journal of a homosexual pedophile whilst he was knee deep in heroin addiction. I mean, come on! That's awesome stuff!!

disclaimer: ;)

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Sounds like a perfect time to read them "The Lord of the Flies"... and hope there's at least one geeky fat kid each week :eek:

seriously- My son will be 10 in July- he loves it when I read Tolkien to him- I'd say the Hobbit- it's a bit more accessable
    I also read Lewis's space trilogy with him...

He reads the Harry Potter Books and is trying to finish the 4th before 5th one comes out in a couple of weeks...

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Some of my favorite children's stories:
    Everyone Poops
    The House that Crack Built

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Island of the Blue Dolphins, Bridge to Teribithia, and Tom Sawyer?