Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Book Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Muad'Dib, Jul 5, 2004.

1. hey all, this is my first new thread so i guess i should start by saying hello. hello! i've wanted to learn the craft probably since i got my first electric bass some years ago, a Peavey T-40. i held that stringed boat anchor in my skinny little arms and thought "there's gotta be a better way". i use and admire instruments from Zon and others who aren't afraid to use technology and other "experimental" methods and materials. that's not to say i don't also appreciate the beauty of a wood bass from the likes of Rob Allen etc. aaanyway the flame has been sparked again after all this time and i'm eager to get going, but not in a rush, i know it takes time. lots of time, step by step. so right now for me step one is LEARN. but where to start? i see books here and there but most are geared towards guitars, acoustics mainly. is there a single book on the planet that focuses on electric bass building? even an online tutorial. i'll take anything i can get. so please bombard me with links to what you guys consider "essential reading". tools, wood, whatever. thanks so much for any help. :)

2. nothing? oh well.

3. great thanks. i have a few bookmarks i've found as well. i'll post them later.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    This gets asked fairly often. Look through the past threads, every month or so is a "how can I start being a luthier" question. The answers always call out the books.

I borrowed the Melvyn Hiscock book from my local library.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Warmoth & StewMac I know for sure, carry a few different books on many different aspects of luthiery. Interestingly, Bill Foley is the author of one of the books listed on the Warmoth site. He just happens to be one of the local luthiers in Columbus.

I have his book, it suited towards building parts instruments. NOT towards anyone who wants to go from scratch. It does not cover finishing that well, either. For that, I CAN suggest Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Finishing" book over at StewMac.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got the Dan Erlewine book that McHack is referring to. Definately worth the money. :)

7. stoutman

stoutman

Mar 30, 2004
    Two books I just bought that I did not find helpful:

Guitar Electronics for Musicians by Donald Brosnac - very dated.
    Constructing A Solid-Body Buitar by Roger Siminoff - not much in the way of explaining why, especially electronics. Also somewhat dated.

8. thanks for the suggestions guys. i've actually gotten quite lucky. i'm gonna sit in with a relative who is a pretty talented woodworker and learn how to use some tools. and i've got myself a little apprenticeship with a local builder in exchange for helping him with his website. i'm really psyched. he only does basses, electric upright and electric bass guitars. can't wait.