1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Book Thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Mar 27, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, I love books, and I mean come on, everyone just loves to settle down with a good book every now and again! Far better than TV. Plus, I find a lot of people here don't have TV, which leads me to believe that they...maybe...read books? Anyways, let's post some suggestions and stuff, I'm always looking for literature.

Anyways, here are a few good ones:

Riddley Walker - This book had sex with my brain. So much info crammed in, it'll make you spin. You could read it 50 times and not get it all. Plus it's in dialect. Excellent book.:hyper:

In Cold Blood - Everyone knows this one, Capote's masterpiece. I'm only a little bit into it, but it's beautifully written.

Fight Club - Yes, it was a book before it was a movie. Even better than the movie too. Highly recommended.

Brave New World, 1984 and Clockwork Orange - Ya ya, everyone knows these books, but they're still great.

I'm drawing a blank on other great books, but I'll keep posting as they pop up. :)

Please prove me wrong in my thinking that the internet has destroyed what remnants of readers we have left. :ninja:

Edit: First person to post 'I like TV' gets a prompt spit smiley.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The Master and the Margarita - Bulgakov

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

- Patrick Süskind's "The Double-Bass"
    - Gabriel García Márquez's "One Hundred Years Of Solitude"
    - Ernest Hemingway's "The Old Man And The Sea"
    - Oscar Wilde's "The Picture Of Dorian Gray"

Those are the ones that instantly came to my mind. Maybe more later.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm reading the Zenith Angle by Bruce Sterling, I need to finish it to decide if I like it or not. On deck is Iron Council by China Mi'eville. --which I know I will like.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Great book! i liked it a lot.

Right now re-reading "hidden war" by Artyom Borovik

very um... sad book. Some things he describes about war just really hurt reading because its more about individuals. He doesn’t talk about the war he talks about and more often with people he met and their pain that war has brought on. I really miss that guy.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dilbert

bc

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Let me preface my post by saying this: in any thread about books on any message board in the history of the internet, people feel the need to post how they read the "heavyweights" in order to think they are impressing other people.

Don't. Just don't. I know you read these books when they were on your AP high-school list, but I'm not buying that you read Dostoyevsky in your spare time between XBox games. We all read the big ones every once in a while, but seriously, you're not fooling anyone. "I just finished 'Ulysses' and now I'm going to start on 'War and Peace'". Got it.

I'm sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine. I get a little uptight sometimes. Deep breaths, I know.

I just finished "The Soul of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman. It's a pretty cool read about what makes the top chefs in the country tick. A very fun read if you're into anything culinary.

Next I will indulge in "Hyperion", one of my favorite sci-fi books of all time! :hyper: Dan Simmons is the man!

"'East of Eden'? So you pretty much do whatever Oprah tells you to, huh?"
    "You know, this book's been around for 50 years. It's a classic."
    "But you just got it last week, and there's a giant 'Oprah' sticker on the front."
    "Oh, oh, is that what that is? Let me just peel that right off."
    "So what are you gonna read after that one?"
    "Well, she hasn't told us... damn!"

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Love how this comes after this:

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dilbert is surprisingly deep.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

True, but, word to picture ratio is 1 to 17.376

:D

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Beats the crap out of "Cathy"!

bc

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I don't own an X-Box. I read Dostoyevsky in my spare time between reading judgements of the High Court of Australia.

What's your point? :D ;)

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The only point I've ever had is the one on top of my pretty little head. ;)

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Don't lie, you can't read.

Let me guess? Crime and Punishment? You lawyer you...

15. Brave New World, Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code...some more if I think of them.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    and Karamazov....I have House of the Dead at home but I prefer the Playstation game! :D (j/k)

17. I'm currently trying to get through Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller (because, really, why would I read a book not written by Hugh Laurie?) - the first chapter was really good. :D

Damn university and its horrid timetable.

18. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I just finished "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Great, great book that ties in all sorts of interesting topics over the span of several generations.
    What else....
    "Garcia: An American Life" by Blair Jackson
    "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon
    "Molvania" a Jetlag Travel Guide (very funny)
    "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass
    "Notes From Underground" by Dostoevsky (no, really!)
    "The Tube Amp Book" by Aspen Pittman (yes, really!)

After I finished reading the Jaco book for the first time, I sought out the "Urantia" book mentioned in it by Bill Milkowski. He wrote in "Jaco" how he and Jaco used to stay up and read out of this Urantia book, go up on the roof and "wait for them (aliens?) to come take us away". Well I was eventually able to order the book from the Urantia Foundation located in Chicago. Quite an interesting book. It's not an easy read by any means but intriguing, nonetheless.

As far as bass books go, I made a listmania! list at amazon here: Truly Useful Bass Books

19. The Life of Pi - Jan Martell. Erm... Well what's the truth? If anyone has this figured out, please PM me.

20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001