Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Booker Ervin

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Anyone else here a fan of this guy's inside-outside approach? I have all of the "The [X] Book" albums and I have to say that I adore them. A song like "A Lunar Tune" pretty much encapsulates everything that I think is right about freebop.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    YAHHHH!!!! thats what Im talkin about

the space Book is one of my all time favorites ALL I can say is sumed up in two words

ALAN DAWSON !!!!!!:cool:

AJ

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Never having heard of the guy before, I downloaded "A Lunar Tune" and... well... I think I have a new artist on my CD wish-list.

Which "book" should I begin with?

4. Start with The Space Book or The Song Book; they're the best of the four (not to discount The Blues Book or The Freedom Book, though).

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    How bout all his great playin with Mingus's bands, HUGE!! Is that him on pork pie hat?If so he should gotten a co writers credit on joni's version.

AJ

6. Yep, that's him on the original "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat." He's awesome all over Mingus Ah Um.

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    That solos so great! to bad you cant copy write a solo (can you ?) some body in Bookers family would be gettin royalty checks.Betyah Joni has Bookers solo copy written!Mingus knew about it at least and must have gave the stamp of approval.

From all of Alan Dawson recorded stuff I think the Space Book is the one.

AJ

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I saw the mingus big band perform last weekend and I learned a couple of things Somehow I got seated next to Sue Mingus and (drum roll)Gunther Schuller! Turns out that the Joni album was recorded after Mingus's death ,the permision to use the music and solo's came from Sue.She resieves royalties from the album and no nothing went the way of the soloist families.

AJ