1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BOOKIE (now RIP Walter Booker)

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by STRONGBOW, Apr 14, 2006.

1. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005
    Any other Walter Booker fans on this forum? I love his sound, his approach, good taste....He always really got a very woody sound out of his old 18th Century Austrian flatback bass. Somebody told me that George Mraz has an old flatback by the same maker

2. Hi al.
    For your information, bassist Walter Booker died yesterday, november 24, 2006.

====================================
    Not a flashy player, Walter Booker's a reliable bassist and underrated stylist. His big tone and ability to play well in the bass's highest register reflects his knowledge of vintage and contemporary approaches.
    He's also an above average bowed soloist. Booker played clarinet and alto sax in college with a concert band. He began on bass while in the service. Booker worked with Andrew White in Washington after his discharge, playing in the JFK Quintet during the early '60s. He later worked with Donald Byrd, Sonny Rollins and Ray Bryant, Art Farmer, Milt Jackson and Chick Corea in the '60s, before joining Cannonball Adderley.
    Booker was in Adderley's band from the late '60s until Adderley's death in 1975, regularly touring and recording. During the mid-'70s and through the '80s, Booker's played and recorded with Betty Carter, Nick Brignola, Billy Higgins, Richie Cole, Phil Woods, John Hicks, Pharoah Sanders, Nat Adderley, Arnett Cobb and Clifford Jordan. He has no sessions available as a leader, but can heard on many CDs by Adderley, Sanders, Jordan, and many others.
    ~ Ron Wynn, All Music Guide
    ====================================

RIP Walter,

François

3. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I've always loved Walters sound. His Arco work with Miroslav Vitous on Joe Zawinul's "In a Silent Way" has always stayed with me beyond my disinterest in the session it was included on. Such a powerful player, and a great composer as well. Maybe someone else could comment on that.

See ya later in bass-heaven Bookie!

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Man what a ****ing drag. I got to meet Bookie at a gig he was doing in Augusta GA when I lived there. A piano player, who also rented out his sound equipment, got hired to do the sound at this gig and when I found out it was the Nat Adderly Quartet, I volunteered to help out. The band was Ronnie Matthews, Book and Jimmy Cobb. I sounded him on a lesson and he said " I don't know about that, why don't you just fall by the hotel room after the gig and we can talk?" My buddy Matt (he's a guitarist) came with me and, since there was a nylon string guitar in the room, ended up playing with and for him for a couple of hours. Whenever I was playing with Matt, he'd be talking to me - " hey, we can hear you, you don't have to play so hard, that's it listen to your boy there, nice, stay in there you don't got to try so hard" . It was such a joyful and positive experience having somebody SO solid have any kind of interest in helping me be a better musician. Just a big warm bear of a guy.
    He'll be missed.

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    A quick google search reveals an album in print as a leader and composer. "Bookie's Book".

6. I spent some time in Europe with Bookie.

The times i'd go to NY, Bookies amp would always be there in the club waiting for me.
    Ed, you know Marshall Fisher? Saraha's ex? Larry Clothier...the Rag Man? All part of Bookies entourage.
    All these cats are a piece of work.
    Bye Bookie......

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I wanna say Marshall Fisher, cause that sounds familiar. The cat that was hanging with Bookie was a short white guy, not fat but "comfortable", beard and ponytail. Singer that I work with, she and her husband (who's a guitar player) did a buncha work with Bookie, he's on a couple of Roni's records. They have some absolutely HILARIOUS stories.

A "great soul" indeed...

8. Yeah, that's Marshall! A laugh riot.....was married to Sarah Vaughn for years...Larry Clothier also known as 'The Rag Man, is a big Jazz promoter I did some tours for. Agent for: Sarah, Carmen and many big time European Fests. He's handling that great young trumpeter who I can't remember his name.

9. BklynBuddy17

BklynBuddy17

Dec 7, 2006
    Thanks For The Kind WORDS For Walter Booker.
    Uncle Bookie was the BEST @ What He Did & was the Real Reason For Many Great Musicians.
    Yeah BOOKIE !

10. Right on! Tell us who you are.

11. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BklynBuddy17 View Post
    Thanks For The Kind WORDS For Walter Booker.
    Uncle Bookie was the BEST @ What He Did & was the Real Reason For Many Great Musicians.
    Yeah BOOKIE !

Right on! Tell us who you are.

Very grateful for BklynBuddy17's post. I, for one, have no desire or need to know who BklynBuddy17 "is". So count me out on that proprietary request/demand "Tell us who you are". For God's sake, one post, and the dude is being grilled for his identity!

I'm here to pay respect to Bookie, and maybe talk about his accomplishments in a manner that is respectful. Birth names shouldn't be required to participate here.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Oh chill pookie. All Unca PW wants to know is who Bookie's nephew is. That isn't "being grilled".

13. Amen

14. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I dig your point of view, man. Thank-you!

So do you have any thought or comments about Walter Booker?

15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I met him once at Sweet Basil's. He seemed kind of shy. We shook hands and told him how much I enjoyed his playing. He then excused himself so that he could change into a clean shirt for the next set.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Prolly just the club scene. Amy's got some road stories that are absolutley side splittingly hilarious, Bookie's ANYTHING but shy in those...

17. Bookie was one of the most colorful people i've ever known, and i've known many! I saw him walking down the streets of Genoa, Italy playing a guitar, with a wine skin over his back and about 20 kids runnin' along side....talk about color! And, if you're into partyin'....look out!!!!
    And mrpc, or whatever your real name is, I don't need lectures from from you! I been doing this for 45 years and know most of these people intimately....so show a little respect and back off!:spit:

18. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Mr. Warbutin, kisses sweeter than wine to you, for the rest of your life! :, you big strong handsome fella;)

19. That's much better Sweetie!!!:D

20. Yeah! The minute you met Bookie, you'd say to yourself " We gonna have some fun tonite!"