Booking a mini-tour. Help please.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Justin V, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I joined my current band about two months ago. Three piece originals rock band (see sig.). We've played a few shows around here with a few more booked and/or pending before the end of the year, but we really want to play some shows outside of this little college town area. The music scene here is really weak. Not much support from the college students and a stereotype that we're all jam bands (there are a lot of REALLY BAD ones around here).

We're thinking of doing a two week "mini-tour" during winter break in early January. Basically going up and down the west coast. This is my first time in a band that actually had it's [term for feces] together enough to even play more than two shows and it's my responsibility to get a couple shows lined up or at least get some communication going with bands. We're just looking for opening spots.

I figured I would come here for advice on what to do and/or maybe some leads on gigs. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Find a local agent; give him a demo tape and have the agent book you accordingly to your wishes.
  3. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Make press kits, and get a demo. Go drive ( i know this costs money ), and hand out the press kits and demo's to every place you wish to play. Do it in person, it's much harder to turn down a band in person, than via the mail. Or you can use a booking agent, they will usually take anywhere from 10-25% cut of your earnings through a gig, so thats really your call. I'd just make a tour in your state 1st. Then book a tri-state tour. And build from there. Just my opinion.
  4. Both above answers are good advice. Remember that you will be walking into a scene that you know very little about. My advice would be to get local street papers and/or gig guides from the areas you intend to visit. See what kind of scene they have and determine which venues your music may suit.

Getting an agent is a good idea, if you can afford the fees and are good enough to warrant their time promoting you.

Good luck.
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Also check out Hal Galper's THE TOURING MUSICIAN, there's a great section on putting a tour budget together and another on "conversation trees" to use when cold calling for bookings.
    It's a good resource.
  6. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas and Myspace are your best bets. We booked a month long tour all over the midwest and west coast with those alone.
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. We were thinking of using the myspace route.

Ed, a fellow bass player in one of my classes suggested that book too. Apparently his band just picked it up a couple days ago. I'm gonna have to look into it.

Any more tips from those more experienced than me at this type of thing would be great.