1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Booking a tour...... HELP!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dkerwood, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, guys. My band is in the process of booking our first "tour". It will be 4 or 5 days long (Wed-Sun), and should take us into the next state - we're from Wichita, KS, and we're hoping to travel up from Joplin, MO, to Kansas City, MO. Maybe slip a little into Nebraska on the way back...

We're a Christian band, so we're avoiding the bars and the typical dives, and hopefully, we'll be able to tap some local churches ahead of time to offer us their floors to sleep on - maybe even a bite to eat. We're trying to get each place to feed us as part of the contract.

Any advice? Suggestions? Even venue suggestions would be great. What we're trying to avoid unless it's the last option is coffee shops. Although we've already got one soft booked for the Friday a little bit north of KC, we don't like coffee shops because they typically don't charge at the door and won't pay a flat fee. Definitely a tips n' merch gig, and it's tough to budget a tour on a bunch of tips n' merch gigs...

We don't mind driving, but we'd like to keep it under 6 hours a day, we can't leave before Wednesday, can't really be gone for more than 5 days, and have to be north of Kansas City on Friday for the one gig we have a date for. Other than that, we're totally open to suggestions.

And certainly, offer advice on touring and the like.

THANKS!

2. Make sure you bring anything you might need, for instance you can't count on the availability of good music stores in the areas you might visit. Make sure you have extra of anything relatively hard to find. And extra strings/cords etc. Tubes for amps.

On the other hand, things that you can easily find on the road, don't bother bringing with you. Such as girls.

Randy

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Lol... good stuff... anything else?

(aka "bump")

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Ok so im not in anyway a religious man so I wouldn't know the first thing about church gigs. (plus ive never seen a band play in a church before either, it doesn't really happen here) but I do play in a band so here's my advice.

Do any of you have any friends that live in the areas you hope to visit? Could they make contact with who ever organises the church gigs in that area and recommend you to that person.

What about the local priest or preacher or whatever it is you have from your church, would he know other priests or preachers in the areas you hope to visit and again recommend you or put you in contact with whoever organises the gigs.

Is there some sort or church directory or website stating places where these churches are or even better giving out contact details for them(forgive my ignorance but I really haven't a clue about churches). Ring them up get talking to whoevers in charge and push for a gig.

Could you simply ring directory enquiries and ask for the number of whatever kind of church in such an area then get the number ring em up and get talking.

Once you get talking to the gig organiser in the church tell them the kind of band you are. What kind of money you go out for if you do at all. If you don't charge, tell them you might be a new injection of life in terms of the churches musical preformance and all you want in return is some food and bed. In fact you should probably give that line whether you guys charge or not. Have a promo pack on the ready if its required. Send it, give it a couple of days and then call again. Tell the organiser what he wants to hear but be able to back it up.

Ask about up coming events that the church is organising that you could possibly play at.

At the end of the day you have to break out all your contacts to get talking to the guys who are organising the gigs.Friends family other bands directory enquiries(which has worked for my band more times than I can remember). The main thing is to get talking to these people. The gigs won't book themselves. Hope that helps somewhat

5. My band self-booked a tour. I found that myspace was an excellent tool because you can look up shows to see if there's anything in the area, and you have a buttload of bands that you can contact to see if you can do like a show swap or something. Might be tough depending on how far in advance your planning it, but I found it to be a great tool.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yep, definitely take advantage of Myspace.
    promoters/booking agents/venues-
    there's a ton of them there.

If you've got a decent-sized friend list, send a bulletin describing your independent tour plans- that's what we do and it really works.

If you don't have a big network yet, or any at all, search by genre of bands closest to what you're doing, see where they're playing and then try contacting those places.