Booking agencies

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, my band is considering trying to go pro at this, and I need some info on booking agencies, as I have never dealt with any before. I have no idea what to expect, I just know we will need to be playing at least 3 decent gigs every week, and may need an agency to help get it started.

Anyone have any experience or suggetions?
  2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Do some footwork and schmoozing to find a good booking agent.
    - Talk to venues you'd like to play for and see who they use to book bands.
    - Talk to bands that are working alot, and find out who their agent is.
    - Check out the Yellow pages under entertainment, to find the local entertainment agencies.

Once you've found your guy or gal, make sure you have all your ducks in order and make the best first impression you can. Convey professionalism and profitability.

For more info, you can check out one of my other posts
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What Jive said... also, avoid - as much as possible - signing any longterm agreements. Booking agents (around here at least) can tend to be protective of their "turf" and are more interested in getting paid their commissions than in the best interests of your band. I guess that's only natural, since they are in business to make money, too.

Both bands I'm working with now use more than one booking agent and also book gigs directly. Staying that busy, I think it would be reasonable to expect that you will be dealing with various agents.

The best situations I've worked in have been ones where the band leaders had a good grasp on their own booking/management needs and tried to cultivate good relationships with - but not dependencies on - booking and promoter types.

Good luck and hope you don't have to deal with too many of the *really* bad ones - they're out there!