1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Booking Agents??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    For some reason here in the Twin Cities, as far as original music goes, there seems to be many bands and venues that are clicky. They don't want to give alot of new bands the opportunity and even when you do get a gig at their venue, they don't always care if you come back. I want to know how you find alot of work when you're starting out. I've already given out alot of press kits to venues and radio stations and yet i can't maintain an active schedule for our band. What gives?

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Look at if from their point of view - why would they WANT to book a new band, when they've got plenty of current ones that are working. To keep a bands name in sight without over doing it, they can play a venue every couple of months, so if they want a band twice a week they need about 18 bands to cycle through. They know those bands can turn up (I know!! but we do get calls to fill in for "new" bands that just haven't turned up), sound good, can pull a following, and generally don't cause any problems for the venue. If you were running a BUSINESS as a venue, why would you kick out one of those bands for someone who just knocks on your door?

All you can really do is keep plugging (and be professional, by which I mean make things as EASY as possible for the venue manager). Take what you can get, and do it well, filling in the few gaps and cancelations you can get - thats how most of the bands in the clique got there. Once you've done a few fill-in's your "on the list". Once you get in one place it's easier to get in others. If any of your band members were in previous "in" bands, use that as a foot in the door - our "booking guy" (aka the guitarist), can phone a place up - he say "hi, remember me I used to me in XXXXX, we played your place all the time". Maybe they remember him, maybe they don't, but he does get gigs, even cold calling places!

Finally - most of the places round here book a whole year at a time. Sometime around mid-November, they'll start booking for all of next year. If you've been plugging away all THIS year, thats the time when it should pay off. Those places that didn't get you back - maybe they were just booked up. If you've put the work in this year, to play one-off gigs, and get your name around you should be in a good position, come booking-season.

Ian

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    If you're a new band trying to break onto the local music scene, you should start opening for one of the popular bands in your city. Contact them and tell them you seen them play and really dig their tunes, then tell them you have a band and would be honoured to open a show for them.....

4. toaster2k3

toaster2k3

May 21, 2007
    If you can't find a show, make you're own. Play house parties. Another fun thing to do is to convince a local business to let you play a parking lot gig.