Booking Manager Must Die

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bass Mule, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Okay, so Rocking Horse, the band I'm in, is supposed to have a gig last night. We were to play last. One of the other bands that was scheduled to play got us the gig. We were instructed to show up at 7pm for sound check, etc...

We get there at 7pm. The manager/owner/whoever meets us at the door with a grim face. He says, "Sorry. All the shows for tonight have been cancelled. There was an all-ages punk show last night and they tore up the floor. I've been on the phone since 8 am trying to get a hold of Shannon (booking agent) 'cuz she's the only one with your phone #'s. She still hasn't called me back." My bandmates and I looked into the room and saw a huge whole in the floor approx. 15' x 10' in front of the stage. We were seriously bumming. We had to call over 50 of our friends to tell them not to bother coming downtown. (If any of you live in the twin cities,mn you know what i mean about down town traffic.)
    The manager/owner/whoever apologizes to us and asks for our #'s and stuff so they could make it up to us. We tell him who we are and he says, "Really? You guys had over 70 people calling this bar yesterday and all day today asking what time you guys were playing." Sure, he could've been stroking our egos, but it was still nice to hear and also disturbing at the same time.
    We leave the bar (the Urban Wildlife, for you Minnesotans) and I call our buddy who got us the gig (who was slated to play 2nd). He had no idea the show had been cancelled. He and his bandmates were on their way to the bar when I called him. He was extremely upset, because this is the 2nd time this has happened to his band at this particular bar. I guess their booking agent/manager has a habit of not letting the bands know when they've been cancelled.
    Needless to say, we were all bummed out. We don't play alot of shows because of our work schedules, and we're not a big band. We're still starting out, but this was going to be a huge show for us. We promoted our butts off for this, and it was cancelled without our knowing.

Sheesh. [/rant]
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    use a L-1 contract from the Local. I do and this crap never, ever happens...
  3. What is an L-1 contract?
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

I play in a band called Rockin' Horse (classic rock covers), and our booking agent also sucks majorly. To add to the coincidence even further, our agent is also a she (insert Wayne's World dream sequence simulation here - doodadoodaloo, doodadoodaloo!)

The name came from the Gov't Mule tune, btw - I take it by your nick that you're a fan, and probably arrived at a band name the same way. We play a couple of Mule tunes - one of our vocalists is a big fan. Wonder how many other bands share this name?

5. There is a Rockin' Horse band out here in the St. Louis area, head on country though. They play at the same bar in Illinios all the time.