Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Books/bands/songs to help regarding joining a hip-hop/rap band (read on please).

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yoshi, Dec 31, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin all...happy new year too :D

Since I've been at uni, I've met some interesting people with a variety of musical tastes. One of which is a guy from nigera/usa(lives there) whos been playing guitar for 4 years and is heavily into rap/hiphop type music (I'm not too sure how to class it, its a bit like some fo the chart stuff only more meoldic and better musicinas in it :p ).

I'm interested in forming a band with him, mainlyfor experience, and getting a drummer and a few singers (male and female) to 'front the band'.

Does anyone have any reccomendations into places to look for expereince? I'm a big fan of bass books so theyd be a great start.

sorry if its a bit vague.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I played bass in such a band for two years. We were in the early years of such music, so our sound was an amalgam of Biohazard, Rage Against the Machine, Machine Head, Beatsie Boys and Korn.

What we did was read the heavy metal guitar magazines searching for any information on those bands and how they achieved their sound. Such magazines also have sheet music and tab (if you require it) and we were able to analyse the transcriptions for style, plus we listened carefully and analytically to the music of the bands whom we admired the most and worked at achieving their sound, song arrangements and lyrical outlook and philosophy. We even looked at MTV videos, carefully studying the band members for appearance, attitude, clothing and hair.

There may be books that have sheet music and bass style books, but we found the music tended to change so quickly, that we were better off listening to the music and attempting to copy it on our own, using it as a guide to create our own songs. The guitar magazines had the most up-to- date information on equipment these bands use and their tuning. Still you have to learn to get what you are after with what you currently have and can afford.

I believe that it is better NOT to imitate exactly what is currently being done, but instead to try to give the music your own special flair. That does take time, though, but you learn a lot by a careful analysis of the techniques of your preferred bands. You must stay current, though. Nothing is so stale as yesterday's music. Rap music and all its permutations is ever-evolving. Listen all the time. Develop a "feel" for the music. Become an expert in the style. Check web sites to see what information they offer about trends.

Best of luck to you. Your project sounds like lots of fun. I hope you will be able to get started right away. You will learn alot from your exploration, believe me.

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, thanks for all the insight!

I'm not actually wanting to adapt a metal sound whatsoever (I'm currently in a death metal type band but we're on hold for a fair time while our guitarist gets his decrepid wrist sorted out).

I'm not actually set on any kind of sound though, so I'll keep an open eye (and ears) and see what happens from there.

My end aim is to come accross (gig wise etc) as a band on tv would - a small group of singers with a backing band (although I'd be responsable for actually peiecing together a band and sorting progress etc). So in a sense I guess the music style isn't too important but more the project as a whole..I'm probably not making much sense now but thanks for the comments and I will look into them!