1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Books for bass chords?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Apr 28, 2010.

1. i've been looking for something similar to the guitar case chord books that the guitarists use, but for bass chords.

I've got a handful of chord tab in my jazz books, but I was hoping there was something a little more complete.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  3. cynical-rabbit

cynical-rabbit

May 19, 2009
    I just found shapes for different types of chords and use them all over the neck. You can do it yourself.

4. For a standard bass, aren't they the same as guitar chords? The intervals between the strings are the same... You just ignore the top two strings (unless you have a Bass VI-type instrument)

5. i'd be interested in finding a bass book that not only teaches you what the chords look like, but practical ways to play those chords on top of changes, and even better, a book that teaches you chord tones so that when your playing in a jam band and the guitarist is playing some ****nut chord you'll be able to identify said chord

a man can dream.....

6. BlueStatic

BlueStatic

Oct 16, 2009
  7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i think its kinda dumb to learn a bunch of fingerings for each type of chord. your much better off looking at theory books to understand what your doing, that way you can understand how to voice these chords however you see fit.

the only differnce between voicing chords on bass vs piano or any other instrument, (aside from the natural issue of fingering chords on string instruments, sometimes you cant reach a note you need) is that 10ths tend to work better than 3rds in the lower register, for obvious reasons, down low 3rds can start sounding a bit dissonant.