1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

books for college

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crispygoat, Sep 5, 2008.

1. frostymoose

frostymoose

Mar 26, 2008
    My anatomy textbook cost me $300 (HAD to buy this one in the store)

On the other hand, I got a $210 Organic Chemistry text for $60 online

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    $577.25 this semester. Unfortunately, all my books except two were new editions taht weren't on the used market yet, and the two that were available used were $20 books, not worth paying individual shipping.

It's a relatively light semester as far as books go.

3. ~$420 all new for me.

I did pre-order the books, so I probably got some form of discount.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I checked with all my professors beforehand, ordered ahead of time at a discount. I would've been over $700 if I bought all at the bookstore.

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    The biggest load of crap is not the price, but the fact they put out newer volumes of the same book every few years. I took Stats I in Spring 06 and then Stats II in Spring 08 and I had to get the newer edition of the same book because the teacher collected HW from the book. For Pete's sake, it's basic statistics. I highly doubt statistics especially at the introductory levels has changed in the past 20 years, let alone the past 2. And to be completely honest a bunch of the problems are the exact same, they were just in a different order.

6. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Thank god my college has a textbook renting program. Granted, some professors still make you buy additional material. :(

7. I suppose that is what happened with me as well.

8. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Ha, that's it? My books ran me 550$ this year, and tools were 2300$ so quit yer complaining! :atoz:

Oh ya, that's on top of tuition and residence. :(

9. I'm studying Classics and Ancient History. I'm required to study both Latin and Greek hence the sheer number of texts we need.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing cooler than bragging about copyright infringement on the internet, now is there?

11. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Hmm, not great, I agree. I suppose I can only offer that you may be glad that are not studying to be a neurosurgeon. An acquaintance of mine purchased a text for the princely sum of $900 and utilized about 60 of its 1100 pages over the course of two weeks or so. It makes a damn fine doorstop, if I do say so myself.

12. This is the problem my medical student friends have- some of their books are £300 or more ($600) and they are REQUIRED to have these after a certain point in the term.

13. I've spent between £150-£175 so far on books, and this is just for background knowledge for my MSc :bawl: , god only knows what the total will be after having bought actual course books too :(

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Alibris.com is another great website for cheap textbooks.

15. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    200$ for the dictionary alone, I haven't really looked into buying my other books yet, oh, and I forgot the macbook pro I HAD to buy. You're at Cambrian I presume ?

16. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Ah true, okay, I thought that it was for all the books. My bad. And a laptop? Ouch!

And yep, up at Cambrian. :bassist:

17. My first year of University I spent over $500 on books for the first semester and I didn't buy one of them. About the same for second. Books are a ripoff, although I have since learned about sites such as half.com and buying off of amazon will usually save you quite a bit as well.

lowsound

18. I'm an English student, so this semester only cost me about $250. :p And that's with an additional course worth of books, too. Basically, all I have to buy are paperbacks, some of which I already own, anyway.

:D

19. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    I download ebook versions of all my books if i can.
    Amazon is great too for used books last semester i payed 30$ for a used copy of the book i needed (book store wanted 150$) Sowed up at my house still wrapped and never opened.

Last book i bought from a campus book store was a biology book for 250$, they wouldn't take it back after my professor gave us his login for the teacher online version.
    Still wrapped....

Tuition falls in the same lines of screwing you over.

how private colleges decide on tuition
    what's the max a student can get with finacial aid?
    what's the max a student can get for fed loans?
    what's the max a student can take out per year in private loans?

add it all together and divide by 3.

20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Welcome to the rip-off known as college!

Now bend over.