1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Books For Sale: Jazz, Hendrix

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by BluesWalker, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I need to continue clearing out my books before I move this summer and need to raise a few bucks.

All prices below include shipping (USPS Media Mail w/Delivery Confirmation). Shipment is within 1-2 days of payment receipt.

SOLD The Swing Era, The Development of Jazz 1930 - 1945 by Gunther Schuller (1989, Hardcover with original book cover, 919 pages) - $10

This is an awesome book! Schuller traces the develppment and history of Swing Jazz. There are a lot of musical examples. Topics include discussion of key personalities, key bands, regional bands/personalities, big bands, small bands, etc. An academic treatment. I learned a lot every time I read it.

The books is in excellent condition.

SOLD Thinking in Jazz - The Infinite Art of Improvisation by Paul F. Berliner (1994, Paperback, 883 pages) - $10

As the title says, this book tackles the art of Jazz Improviation. Told through the words of famous improvisers Ther are many musical examples (with analysis) within and at the end of the book that are seperated by the instrument type, including Bass. There are also complete charts and analysis of tunes: Miles Davis's Bye-Bye Blackbird, I Thought About You and Blues by Five. Coltrane's Softly as in a Morning Sunrise. The charts have all parts (including Bass).

The book is in very good condition. A little bit of dogearing on the front cover, otherwise no defects.

SOLD Walking in the Footsteps of Paul Chambers, Transcribed by Rob Gourlay (2003, Paperback, 67 pages) - $5

24 transcribed bass parts from Paul Chambers playing on classic jazz pieces (e.g. Oleo, Mr. PC, Just Friends, Giant Steps, etc.) Reference to the original recordings.

Book is in very good condition, no writing in the book, slight dogears on front cover.

SOLD The Jazz Bass Book , Technique and Tradition by John Goldsby (2002, Paperback/CD, 227 pages) - $10

Reprint of Goldsby's articles from Bass Player magazine. The chapters chronologically cover the evolution of the bass guitar in jazz through discussion of key players. Most of the chapters include musical examples with analysis. The last part of the book is a 50+ page chapter on what to learn to be a jazz bassist, including a lot of practice examples.

SOLD Experience Hendrix, Transcribed Scores (Paperback, 366 pages) - $10
    Complete transcriptions (bass/gtr/drums/vcl) of 20 Hendrix tunes. The tunes cover the beginning days (Purple Haze, Fire) through his last recording days (Freedom, Dolly Dagger). These are excellent transcriptions.

The book is in very good condition.

2. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    PM'd

3. christianbass

christianbass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Jasper, AL
    PM'd for: Walking in the Footsteps of Paul Chambers, Transcribed by Rob Gourlay (2003, Paperback, 67 pages) - $5, if it's still available.

4. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    PM Sent

5. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sales are pending on the Hendirx, Chambers, Goldsby and Berliner books.

6. please let me know if the hendrix book falls through

7. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The Hendrix book has been sold, I might have a couple more to put up for sale next week.

8. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.