Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Books on Rhythm

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd like to futher understand... you know... music. Rhythm to me is far more interesting than melodic elements. I'd like to find out what make all different rhythms tick (metronome joke... gawd) in a written out sense.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Check out Ed Friedlanders books. He has something good to say about any aspect of music and bass.

Why does it have to be written?

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I use this book in my ear training and solfeggio classes. What I didn't know is that it's pretty expensive, but it's a great book on the subject.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Robby Ameen and Lincoln Goines - Funkifying the Clave

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well... a video would be fine. What I'm saying is... I'd like to literally know what's going on. Why a certain rhythm feels a certain way. Latin music especially... there is so much going on, it's hard to dissect it. Basically, I want a book that says when you add/subtract "this," "this" changes and feels like "this." In more literal terms.

I have a love for hand drums of all sorts... especially when done well... and I don't do them well... I'd like that to change. A better understanding of rhythm would help.

I can copy certain things, but that's not good enough.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Then it sounds like Funkifying the Clave is right up your alley. I'd love to get my own copy, but I've got a few other books I need to work through first.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome... I'll look into that.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Funkifying The Clave is a great start.
    Also, Rebecca Mauleon's Salsa Guide Handbook.

First little step to learn-
    Be able to tap out the 3:2 Clave with one hand while tapping out the pulse with the other hand(Pulse = Beats 1 & 3)

Be able to tap out the 2:3 Clave with one hand while tapping out the Pulse with the other.

Be able to tap out the 6/8 Clave with hand while tapping out the Pulse(Beats 1 & 4)with the other hand...& then reverse the Clave's direction.

Another thing to work on is polyrhythmic tapping(e.g. Tapping out '5 over 4', '6 over 4', '3 over 4', '4 over 3', etc).