Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by x4x, Dec 8, 2004.

1. x4x

May 10, 2003

I just ordered these books:

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Hiscock, Melvyn

Make Your Own Electric Guitar And Bass by Waring, Dennis G.

are these any good? i'm planning on building and finnishing my own warmoth myself but have little knowledge of how to do this

any comments on the books?

thank you
  2. schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    both are excellent books. i consult the hiscock book regularly.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  4. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    this is the only totaly begginer builders "what book" thread i could find. and it seems to lack input so could i revive this thread for more books to be added.

i have found this one: Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-body, Hollow-body and Semi-acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars
    Author: Martin Koch

any others?
  5. Fruitfly

Fruitfly Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    Animal Magnetism for Musicians- DIY fretless basses & pickups. Distributor: The Bold Strummer LTD.
  6. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I don't know if you read Animal Magnetism but I wouldn't recommend it as a bass building book to anyone starting.

That book has 100 pages, the first 50 deal with building homemade pickups and last 50 pages with building a fretless bass. The bass building part is totally useless. The writing style is hard to read, pictures are on different pages and don't detail most of the important steps and there's lots more to complain about...

For anyone starting Melvyn Hiscock's book is the bible. It teaches everything step-by-step and goes through 3 different project, a strat-style, gibson-style and neck-though bass. I've had this book since '88 and still read all the time.