Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by aliveroflife, Mar 20, 2002.

1. aliveroflife

Mar 20, 2002
    Hi, I just decided to take up the electric bass. I like and want to play rock and roll, especially in a classic rock style. I know that is really broad, but I'm sure you get the idea. I basically want to do this to play in a band with my buddies.

I'd like to know what books would be good to read for:
    1. Bass playing instruction
    2. songwriting from a bassist's perspective
    3. singing

I know a teacher/instructor is best and I WILL get one, but I'd like to have something in book form too. I'm not exactly sure what "music theory" is but maybe I need something in that area also, or maybe that is part of "bass playing instruction", I'm just not sure.

Also, any tips on picking out some starting equipment would be great. Money is definitely an issue. Thanks!
  2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Mel Bays "Complete insert topic Bass Books" tend to be pretty good. I think they have one on general bass. I've never read it though. I have the Blues (excellent), Jazz (Good excersises, but not really about jazz, more for learning high fingerboard positions), Funk (Good rythm reading practice).

Although for almost all books I know of you'll need to be able to read standard notation.
  3. Kriss

Jul 17, 2005
    hey yeah I'm a newb and need to know exactly what I need to start out. I don't know much but really I want to learn to play an ellectrc bass, and then learn to play lots of Rock n' Roll. So anyway I could use some advice if you have any. if not could you then tell me how I can get in touch who can help me out.

4. There is a few sites on music theory on the sticky thread above which give good advice on the subject but my best bet would be to invest the money into getting some lessons with a teacher esp. if he/she plays rock'n'roll as well as listening to the music
    Hint : Pentatonics are useful here as well as the dominant chord tones
  5. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT