1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boom Bass Cabinet Tank 1015 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Today I had the opportunity to compare the BBC Tank 1015 to the Bergantino CN210.

First, I really do think the Bergantino sounds "better" - the lows are more present and the round bass tone is there, the highs are crisp. I still traded the Bergantino for the Tank... so the question is.... why?

For starters, I tested both cabs with the Warwick LWA 1000 head - which is truly rated at 1000 watts at 4 ohms. I tested it with my custom 4 string and with a Benavente 6 string.

I took it to the local music store, since the cab is rated at 1400 watts rms, we turned the Warwick up all the way to see what would happen. the cab handled it like a pro... it didn't seem like we were close to hitting its limits.

The lows were tight and clear, the mids were present... it sounded incredible!

I owned a Bergantino HT322 and actually prefer the Tank to the Berg HT322 at volume... and it's easier to move.

I don't think the videos online actually do justice to the tone of this amp. When I get a chance next week I'll make a video where I will try to demonstrate a more round sound.

I'll be glad to answer any questions and address them in a demo with multiple heads.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    DSC00065_zpsvicl2lzr.

Shown left to right:

1. Tech21 VT Bass 500 / Two Tech 21 B1120VT Cabinets
    2. Taurus Qube 450 / Phil Jones Compact 4
    3. Warwick LWA 1000 / BBC Tank 1015
    I tried the cabinet with each head... Performed flawlessly with each and 4, 5, and 6 string basses!

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats! Did you get this based on hearing Kenneth's up at the Sportline?
    Time for another GTG at @10cc 's place!
    Wait till you check out my Arkham Zephyr through a F212.

4. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I heard Kenneth's but didn't really gt a chance to play around with it much. I think he had his set to deliver more "thump" - I prefer a more even tone.

I can say that I like it better than my Bergantino HT322.

5. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Kenneth has a 1012, I think?

6. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Congratulations! Exceptional cab. I've had my Tank 1212 for about one month now.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  7. Thanks for the review. I'm looking into pairing the 1215 Tank with either the GK MBFusion 800 or the Mesa Subway 800. More feedback like this from existing Boom cab owners would be helpful.

8. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I have since sold my Tech21 rig. I'm using mine with the Markbass Bass Multiamp.

I did use it with a GK MB Fusion 800... I thin it sounded great with it, so much so that I have bee wrestling with buying the GK MB Fusion 800 as a backup.

9. I hear ya. Liked what I heard from the Mb fusion too but from what I've read from the previous owners that switched over to the Mesa Subway, I've decided on the Mesa Subway 800 + boom 1215 Tank. Same headroom but the highs are less present and harsh on the Subway.

10. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    are these Boom 1215 Tanks truly a 1 cabinet solution?? I have a D800 and love it... I'm playing 2 Db112's or 2 GK neo212's through the head now and it's pretty damn good but less gear that could perform better than more gear is always an interesting theory.

Drue Williams likes this.
  11. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    From my experience I'd say no.

Dave Hill likes this.
  12. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I own a BBC Tank 1212, play a American Standard Fender Precision V with a Markbass LMIII and I'm in a Joe Satriani tribute band. For about the last year I've never needed anything else. The sound is full, articulate, powerful and loud. In my opinion I'm very happy with my purchase.

13. Can you elaborate?

14. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Well first off compared to what the @Amajew is already is using for cabinets one BBC would not be gaining him really anything except maybe an easier trip to and from. The BBC could most definitely compete with the two 112's but not the two 212's.

But more importantly I've witnessed in my house a tank really struggle while being pushed by a D800.

Also the tone of the BBC wasn't really all that compared to many other cabs.

@CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey likes this.
  15. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I think this may be one of those YMMV topics that depends on your desired tone.

I used a GK MB Fusion 800, until I recently replaced it with a Darkglass Microtubes 900. I don't think that anyone has said that these heads are underpowered.

For me, it handles everything that I've thrown at it, from creating a thumpy bass sound to a modern distorted tone.

If I dime everything and don't come down on the volume to compensate, there are some problems, but I think that's an exception case rather than the norm.

In most instances I'm playing with 2 or more 1000 watt subs, so I never try to compete... but since we don't run the bass through the monitors on the stage, I need to be loud enough to articulate the bass on stage. It makes a difference.

We played a local venue with four (4) 1000 watt subs in the front of the stage. I brought my pedal board and went direct. The bass was inarticulate and I think the band struggled a little bit due to the inarticulation of the bass. The next time we played, I was able to compete in such a way that the stage volume was clear.

I have also seen local guys play smaller clubs and not go through the house. But the stage that they were on really helped a lot IMHO in terms of where the amp was set up and the composition. If it were sitting on a block of concrete, I'm not sure how it would have faired.

My recommendation is to find someone local that has one and try it out. The BBC guys are usually pretty good about finding someone local.

bassplayer2014 and ebozzz like this.
  16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    BBC's are new to me.
    Looks like one driver fires forward and the other
    fires toward the floor ?

Acoustic356 likes this.