1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boom Bass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer2014, Dec 2, 2015.

1. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Can't find much about these cabs here on TB (one very happy NCD TB'r BBC Tank 1212) or anywhere other than their site: www.boombasscabinets.com. I did speak with a Boom Bass Cabinet sales representative on the phone.

The products sure do look interesting and they're priced okay. For example the BBC Tank 1215 has two Faital LF Drivers (112 & 115) a horn, is 4Ohms, rated at 1,600 watts, weighs 48 pounds, measures H. 21″ W. 20″ D. 21″, comes in many different colors, has a built-in telescoping handle with wheels, a 10 degree tilted front speaker baffle, a 72 hour return policy, a one year warranty and costs $1,199.00 (plus tax) shipped. I'm assuming these cabs are in the Fearfull/Fearless/Greenboy, Schroeder, ACME, Baer and Barefaced, etc niche market?

I've played Fearfull/Fearless/Greenboy and Baer cabs and they're unbelievably amazing! Are Boom Bass Cabinets similar? I have a Markbass 104HF and love it. I want one super cabinet that is very portable and meets my needs for full-range/rich/soulful/transparent sound, volume as in decibels, volume as in quantity, can be used as a stand-alone bar-gig cab and is rugged.

Does anyone have any real-world/hands-on experience with these Boom Bass Cabinets?

Thank you,

PS, Boom Bass Cabinets (BBC) is kind of a strange name?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The British Broadcasting Corporation probably does not approve if that's what you mean. (nudge nudge, wink wink)

Cirk, BadExample, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  3. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    That's another possible acronym?

4. My hopes get dampened by BS specs and ad speak. Might be good, might be just average. Sounds roughly like an isobaric.

Eric_Allard and mbelue like this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Yes it's a strange name, if you consider that boominess is the enemy of most bass players and we try to avoid it as much as we can.

Mystic Michael, The Rage and B-string like this.
  6. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I hear what you're saying. Nope, not isobaric.

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Subbed.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Drue Williams is the founder of the company. AFAIK his nickname was "Boom Boom" when he was coming up. Hence the name.

So it has nothing to do with the sound quality of the cabs. Thanks for checking them out.
    :)

Mfebs, kaba7a and bholder like this.
  9. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Very cool. Personally I'm way less concerned about what it's called as long as it delivers.

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Thermobaric? Probably not. But remember, as Ani diFranco says, "Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right." ;);)

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  11. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    It's a sealed cab I think?

David Jayne likes this.
  12. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    image.jpeg
    Got to do a little experimenting last night at a gig. Compared to the F212, the BBC sounded like a smaller box, which it is. Less extention top and bottom. More middy. Slightly, well, boomy. Two nice rigs. The F212 is a sweet beast

13. Opinions vary...

I would say they are not. Baer, Acme, greenboy, Audiokinesis, Barefaced, all use custom or true LF woofers crossed over to mid drivers/horns with elegant electronics. They also have designs that use full range woofers as well, and some of those designs use the same faital woofers that Boom uses as well. That said they are not using cross overs between their drivers as a valid design choice. It would put them in a different category though IMO.

I think it is a euphemism/joke personally.

Agreed.

14. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona

I've never played or heard an F212. I've only dreamed about owning one. From the website the F212 is approaching $1,750.00 plus on cost.

What can you say about that BBC please? How was the quality? Did it seem rugged? What was good, what was bad, etc. Thanks.

15. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I do have direct hands on experience with an F115. The F115 is truly amazing!

16. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I own a BBC 1215 Tank and I'm very pleased with it. There are bigger cabs that will give more sound, but this is the most sound I've coaxed from an easily transportable box. I tried one at a local music store and liked it, but didn't buy it. A week later my wife told me that I should go back and get it. It sounds really good. How could I argue?

17. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Very nice. That's what I kind of thought too. Can this cab stand alone at a small bar gig? Rehearsals? I do like the transportability.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    bassplayer2014 likes this.
  19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The 1215? Easily. I've played it in football field size rooms and was told to turn down.

Brad Johnson and bassplayer2014 like this.
  20. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Great! Have you owned it long enough for several gigs