Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boomerang - to buy, or not to buy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by onebassplayer, Jul 4, 2001.

1. I have been pondering the purchase of a boomerang pedal, and would like to know (for all of you that have one) how you utilize one in a band setting. When I play out with my regular band, I normaly go through 2-3 solos a night - which is the only time I can forsee using the boomerang. If you have other uses, I would love to hear them.

2. Ohhhh...Ive seen one of those. I just didnt know they were called Boomerang. Thanks.

3. I own one, I really didnt care for it at first because the sound quality was poor, until I got the upgrade for V2.0, now I dig it alot. The V2 upgrade chops the time in half but doubles the audio quality. I use it all the time. The disadvantage for me with the Boomerang is that it is a floor unit so in a live situation you have long cable runs.
    Otherwise, check out the Lexicon Jamman. It is a rackmount piece so you have short cable runs.

For more info go to http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/tools.html

4. Zonplayer, thanks for the info. Tell me a little about the upgrade for V2.0. I took a look at the Lexicon - very very nice... but a little out of my price range for the unit and foot controller.

5. One time it was raining and i had a boomerang and i was going to throw it and my brother was standing right beside me and i went to throw it and it sliced right above his eye, he has a cool little scar now and my dad made me throw away the boomerang... but they do work and come back to you, just make sure your brother isn't right next to you when you go to play with it!

anyways that's my story of boomerangs... :)

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Using loops in a band takes A LOT of practice and patience (from everyone) I use loops extensively and am currently on tour with Michael Manring and Steve Lawson on the Solo Bass Looping Tour.
    The 'Rang is cool, but the Line 6 DL4, IMO, is much better. Easier, smaller, versatile, much, much quieter,and better sound quality. Also costs less!
    The JamMan (which I also use) is a discontinued item, and sells used for 2x what the original price was!! Those into looping consider them to be "classic". So looking for a JamBoy will cost 'ya! For the same money you could get a new Echoplex Digital Pro (EDP)...but yer looking at $800 plus.
    Check out the Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler/Loop Sampler...they are great!
    Max

7. Thanks, Max. That is very helpful !

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thoughts on the Boss RC-20 coming out?

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :eek:

I guess they didn't have too many choices back in 2001

10. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    I heard the newer boss rc50 looper is the way to go. I've never used one though. Any opinions?

11. Unless the whole ensemble is focused on looping then your applications are pretty limited with it in a band situation but still worth checking out depending on your musical style. timing can be difficult if you are the only one in your group using a looper though. Its strengths really shine for solo, fretless and textural styles (at least traditionally)

If you *really* want to pursue looping then the Looperlative is the way to go. Following that the EDP or the Electrix Repeater (although that approaches looping from a slightly different direction) but if you just want to dip your toe in the pool and see what it's all about the DL4 is probably the most intuitive but I hear some good stuff about some of the Boss units and the Digitech Jamman (not to be confused with the Lexicon version.)

12. 65Bassman

65Bassman

Aug 10, 2007
    Mississippi
    I just use my rang for practice only. I wouldn't ever use it live. It's a great tool for practicing solos against alternate intrument layers though. At home tone is secondary to technique and theory. Live....thats not the case at all.

13. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I have a jamman that I never use with a band, the only time its useful for me is to practice or writing music