Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boomerang vs boss rc20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Woodsey, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Woodsey

Woodsey Guest

Hi guys im sure this has probably been answered here before but i cant find much about it in the search.
    Im thinking about getting a looper but cant decide which. At the moment im looking at the boomerang and the boss rc20, and possibly the line6 dl4 but im not so interested in the delays.
    Has anyone owned both of these and could give me the pluses and minuses of both?
    Or at least point me in the direction of somewhere that'll tell me.
    Also have i missed any other 'reasonably priced' loopers that u recomend?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm planning on getting the DL4, the boomerang has never taken my fancy. The Boss RC-20 is very interesting thought I like the idea of having loads of loop time and being able to store them but what you need to ask yourself what do you need. I use to have a multi effects pedal that looped for a little under 8 seconds now whilke this was very limiting as I couldn't record overdubs I found that I was only really using 5-6 seconds now if I was then to double this to give me more space to add layers I only needed at most 12 seconds of loop time. After reading about these pedals loads I came to the understanding that the RC-20 is very good but there are little things that would really annoy me about it. It just seems alot less intuative where as most people rave about the DL4 which has 28 seconds of loop time not 14 as on the website (Half speed).

Now you say your not interested in the delays but what are you trying to do with this pedal if its ambiance or new agey you might fell glad to have a sweeping echo or something.

oh yer

*Steve Lawson voice on*Buy an Echoplex and tell them I sent you*Steve Lawson voice off*

:D

Sorry couldn't stop myself

Hope this helps

3. i've owned the RC20, Boomerang, and DL4...

but now the only one that feels like an actual INSTRUMENT and will really give you the ultimate in "looping" is the Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro.

4. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I used to own a Boomerang,

I HATED that thing it was very noisy...

I tried a loop station in the store and it did not seem very user friendly to me within the time I gave myself to try it out...

I now own a pair of gibson echoplex digital pros, same product as the oberheims mentioned before my post ... its just no longer possible to get the oberheim since gibson bought that company...

i would like to get a DL 4 for simplicities sake ... but i will never part with the pair of EDP's

Another discontinued item you can watch for is a lexicon jam man...

A great site to learn about all of these products is:

loopersdelight.com

5. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I use the RC20 and am very happy with it(and it is very easy to use). I have no experience with the Boomerang, but I can tell you a few obvious advanatges of the RC20 are the price and size of the unit compared to the Boomerang.

The DL4 is a great pedal, but if you are looking for something just to do looping with, I feel the RC20 is much better. It can be very tricky to sync a loop with the DL4, there is much less looping time available, you can't store loops, etc.

The Echoplex looks wonderful but it is not fair to compare a $200 looper to a $900 looper.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Boomerang.

With the Boss pedal, you have to stop playing and hold a button down for 2 seconds to erase your loop and record a new one. It's decent if you only want one loop per song, but if you play something with multiple looped parts, the Boss wont do it (unless you want to pre-record your loops - which is lame).

7. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Surely every product has its pros and cons. Keep in mind that the Boomerang may have some extra features but it will also cost you about twice the price. If those extra features are needed, than it is worth the cost. For me, I am not making intricate multi-loop-parts songs, so the RC20 keeps me happy.

8. The RC 20 will STORE loops in memory.
    The Boomerang will not.

THAT may be the most determining factor for you?

Yes, definitely read all the product reviews on www.loopersdelight.com.

Tell us what you decide on would you?

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im very happy with my RC20. they will app appeal to different people differently, though. try them all out if you can.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A third pedal as bank switcher would have been cool. I still chose the RC-20 over the line 6 and the boomerang for sound quality and overall loop time, as well as the ability to store sound effects, etc.

11. Woodsey

Woodsey Guest

Ok cheers guys your helps much appreciated. I think ill probably get the Rc20. And hopefully try it out before hand. Trouble is the music shops around here are pretty limited so ill probably have to order. Ill keep an eye out for one of the dicontinued pedals but again they dont seem to crop up often round these parts. Possibly a little out of my price range too. We shall see.
    Cheers again.
    Will let you know what i think when it comes
    Woodsey

12. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Actually if you add a standard non latching footswitch, you can scroll to a new empty slot and record a new loop there. You can even scroll back to the old one (as far as I remember) using two switches.
    Very helpful
    I used this thing a lot a couple years back. Now it's collecting dust....better get it out again! I liked it, and the user friendlyness or unfriendly-ness is overcome after a little practise. I had no problem learning it, and using it effective in a live situation with other musicians. Easy to lay a good bass loop with the drums and play "guitar"-fills over...as long as the drummer hears it well enough or else it gets interesting....hehe