1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boomers at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    My local GC has always carried a variety of Boomers (mediums, lights, heavies, different scale lengths, etc) but lately they have been trimming down their inventory to only carrying the “X” models. For example, M3045 vs M3045X.

From what I gather, the “X” fits 34-36” scale lengths, which I guess mean they can carry less inventory yet have a string that generally fits a variety of bass scale lengths.

Has anyone tried the regular vs X version on a normal 34” scale Fender? Was there any real difference, besides maybe have to trim more string? Is this a trend, or just something peculiar to my local GC?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Boomers "universal long scale" = 37.25" winding length (ball end to taper)
    Boomers "long plus" (X version) = 38" winding length (ball end to taper)

It's just a matter of determining which fits better on any given bass.
    I would take the 37.25" for my two Fenders, either thru-body or top-load.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You could always buy the ones you specifically want and for less money on the internets.

4. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I get that, and sometimes I do. But sometimes I just have a second and drop in and want to pick up something now.