Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boomers, D'Addario XL's, or Slinkys?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Boomers.

19 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Xl's.

47 vote(s)
    53.4%
  3. Slinkys.

22 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    If all stores only carried these three brands of roundwounds which would you choose?

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I voted for the XLs. But I'd only buy a few sets to hold me over, and then I'd plan a trip to the DR factory in New Jersey and buy a couple boxes of Lo Riders.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used Boomers and Slinkys in the beginning. Now I use XL's mostly. I've pretty much decided that D'Addario's are pretty much the string for me. I rock the XL Nickels for most things, but my Jazz is strung up with ProSteels.

4. What do you like specifically about the XLs, if you don't mind my asking? I've been using Slinkys for about three years and then Boomers for less than a year, but was thinking about a change sometime soon.

5. boomers suck, i had them on my ric and i couldnt stand them, at all.

i always use Xl and always have except that one time.

6. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I have always liked xl nickel softwound,someone tell me if you can,what set for 5 string daddario has a taper b?

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sgt. Pepper posting about Boomers!?

Haha, I thought this was about cubensis for sure. I'll pull my head out of the umm, cow patty. carry on...

8. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I haven't tried the Slinkys, but I'd buy a set of XL's before the Boomers for sure.

9. I voted for Slinkies,because they are the only ones I have used out of that list,and my guitar player used to use D'Addarios(sp?) and they broke way too often.

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I used boomers for years and was really happy with them. When I started working for a music wholesaler, I tried the brands they had since I got them for cost. Found I liked the XL's quite well. Bummer was they didn't have a five string set in the guages I like, so I used Ken Smith's for my 5 string. Now I'm back to 4 string bass and XL's.

11. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    No I don't work for GHS, D'Addario, or Ernie Ball. :scowl:

12. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    personally i loved rotosound. Im using GHS boomers now they sounded horrible when i first put them on but now they sound fine.

13. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    exl170-5

14. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    XL 170s beat Slinkies head to head on a G&L L-2500. I have not played Boomers for a while. I remember liking them but when they are dead they are dead.

Dave

15. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Who has used XL 220's?

16. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have. They were easy to play but sounded thin in a band setting.

Dave

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I voted Slinkys. I've used all three brands, and IME, the Slinkys are a little brighter than XLs, and a little lower tension than the Boomers, which fits my preferrences.

Oh, and, FWIW, my favorite nickel roundwounds are Ken Smith Burners.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would start playing guitar.... You missed TI Super Alloys, Roto Sound Swing Bass (Jeeze - that's like the gran' daddy of all rounds!) and Dr Black Beauties.

I vote Super Alloys and Black Beauties. I mean with 6 basses in the house, why the heck would I only want 1 string... dumb...

19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I voted for the slinkies, but to be honest I doubt I can tell the difference between them and a set of XLs, I've used both in the past, and now I either use LaBella tapes or Slinky rounds..

20. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    There is a theme to my question.
    1. All the strings I listed are nickel rounds.
    2. All the strings I listed are what you would call your basic, all purpose, meat and potatoes string.
    3. All the strings I listed cost about the same price.

The question was if these were the ONLY BRANDS in stores which would you pick?
    I intended to not include ROTOSOUNDS, TI's, and Black Beauties! :scowl: :spit: