Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boomers vs. Hi-beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Boomers are one of the few strings I still have to try out. I like DR hi-beams right now, so if anybody could compare the two tonally- and especially tension-wise. I like the even freq- response of the hb's (miss a little lo-end perhaps) and I really like the tension/feel of these strings. Are Boomers for me?

Thanks

2. uhhh

try them

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I like the sound of the DRs over the Boomers. The DRs lasted longer and had a better feel.
    This was my experience. Others may have differnt opinions.

4. Thanks redneck2wild. After reading the "worst string" thread were Boomers are the most disliked string, I think I'll pass on them for now.

5. string-wise, I think it depends on what bass you're using....but try the High Beams...I've put 'em on 2 of my basses and tried them on 3 others and I love 'em...

6. to me boomers sound like very bright flatwounds! they are a completely different sounding string than the dr hi beams. they sort of have dull highs, fairly tubey lows, and muddy mids IMO. they're almost like old d'addario xl's without the defining upper mids.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I tried boomers and had them on my bass for 2 minutes! definatly not me. As far as hi-beams, great string! the bottom line is what type of bass and music you are playing.