BOOMERS vs XL's Update.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Feb 18, 2006.

1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Well it's been a month Iv'e been playing Boomers on my BTB and XL's on my SR. The difference I see, feel, and hear is...
    Xl's have less bottom, sweeter mids, and brighter treble.
    Boomers have thicker bass tone, aggressive mids, more punch, and crisper but mellower treble.
    boomers are also smoother feeling, XL's are coarser. Just my own little comparison. Who else agrees with this conclusion? :bassist:
    adivin likes this.
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I haven't played XL's in a long time, but I've used boomers more than any other string. From what I remember about the XL's, I think you're right, and I agree with your characterization of Boomers generally. Sometimes they sound slightly metallic to me, which is usually good, but I'm not crazy about it on my P-bass. On my Jazz and my DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow, Boomers just rule. They really bring out the growl on the lower strings on both basses, but it's a smooth growl, never harsh.
  3. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
  4. Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Boomers are well suited for modern finger funk stuff. I find their tone a bit "compressed" - deep bass and slightly rolled off highs, their sound is a bit agressive. I like Boomer's feel more than XL's. I think, the most serious problem with Boomers is that they go dead very quickly. I tried XL's on my basses, but could not get used to them. Especially to their feel. Boomers really feel smoother. As for sound, I find that XL's are more "open sounding" strings. Wonderful solo or slap tone. But they have less "growl" in their sound.
  5. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've had XLs on my TRB6P for almost 3 months... And it's the worst string I've ever played on. I would prefer Boomers to them for sure.

I agree with everything you said.

If plucked CAREFULLY the XLs have mids that sing a bit more.

In my opinion, DR Hi Beams are the perfect mix of the 2, but probably with more Boomer characteristics.