Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOOMERS!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Jan 15, 2006.

1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I haven't used them in a while but I put them on my BTB 400 and Im in love again. They are nice and tight for a roundwound. They have lots of percussion and thud too. They feel good and they sound good. I can use the 45-100's with these because they are stiffer. The 45-105's feel like cables however. I've been using DR's and although I like the way they sound they are a little looser than I prefer. BOOMERS are back baby! :D

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I'm a Boomer fan, also - I string my Ps up with .045s to .105s, except for the drop D/C one, I replace the "E" string with either a .110 or a .111, depending on what I can find... I've tried other strings, but none of them seem to give me the brightness, low-end punch, and volume that Boomers do...

- georgestrings

3. Boomers do sound nice. I quit used them when I started playing bass but soon changed because of string noise. Now that my technic has improved I may try them again.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I first used Boomers over 20 years ago, and when I came back to playing three years ago after nine years off, I found I still like them. They're especially great on my Jazz and DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow. I haven't found any other string that works as well on the DiPinto. They bring out all the nuances in the semi-hollow tone and hot single coil pickups. I'm not as fond of them on my P-bass for some reason -- I'm still searching for the perfect string there, and Dean Markley Blue Steels seem good so far.

5. jjtsucka

jjtsucka

Aug 31, 2004
    bought my first set of boomers a week ago and am loving them very bright punchy sound with a tight feel :bassist:

6. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah actually, I just bought my first set of these last week (.50-.110's). I love these things! I've only used Fender strings (basically out of habit). I couldn't find the strings I normally use and needed some in a pinch. I can't believe how good these sound! What a difference. I'll definately be using this from this point forward :)

Pleasantly surprised with the thump!

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I love them, too, and it always surprises me when they're overlooked in string discussions. They have a fat low end and a clear high end, and actually feel looser to me than DRs. (Or D'Addarios, for that matter.) They don't have the strident "wiry" midrange of D'Addarios or DRs, and that may be why more people don't like them. But to me, they have a lush sound, yet record very well. I've been using them for years. (I use the 45-65-85-105 set for 4-string; and I add a 130 for 5-string.)
    (Also, a lot of stores sell individual Boomer strings, which can be helpful.)

8. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Boomers was all I used when I was playing/gigging regularly ten or so years ago. My Cirrus I just bought used from a Tb'er has D'ads, pretty sure they're XL's and these are nice. I'm going to put Boomers on it though next time I restring it. Should be like 'going home'!!!

:)

9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I happen to like boomers too. As a matter of fact, even the GHS Supersteels are great also....if you like SS strings. Guess GHS is not "boutique" enough for some people. Not that I really use the Bassplayer string shootout as the final word, but Boomers and Supersteels always get high marks.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I want to add to this thread more goodness regarding all things Bass Boomer!

I love Bass Boomers personally.
    They are VERY pliable, VERY pluckable, as far as playability is concerned. However the sound is also great. They have a character most stainless steel strings lack. It's a clarity, a thump, a twang and a low end that is very nice to hear.

Lastly, the price rivals any other manufacturer's string, save for Hartke.

11. I put Boomers (45-105) on my MIA Jazz bass with J-Retro.
    I have been using TI Jazz Flats and Elixer Nanowebs because my technic was rather poor a year ago and I got Finger/String noise. I gave the boomers another try this afternoon. Put them on and man did this bass come alive. It is everything you guys said. Distinct and clear, smooth highs, nice mids, very very good low end and even thud.
    Gotta love these strings. The feel is nice! Sound is Awesome.
    -Gary

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I honestly have to admit, I am sorry I strayed away from these in the past. These are the best all around string out there. #&@! D'Addario XL's ! :spit:

13. Earwaxsculptor

Earwaxsculptor Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    The Garden State
    I have been using Boomer 50-115 heavy's for years because we tune C#-G#-C#-F# and I need high tension strings to avoid much of the negative things that happen with detuning like this. The only downside is that at times I feel like being this thick along with detuning they are quite "BOOMY" (no pun intended) in the low end. Yeah they are like friggin cables under yer fingers but I got used to it, I always look for other strings just to try out but can't seem to find another set with as much tension (anyone???). Regardless, they are great sounding strings to me.

14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I just got a boomer .145 guage B string. I'm not happy at all it lost it's zing over night. Man I wish elixir made thicker guages.

15. MKT711

MKT711

Jan 21, 2006
    They sound great at first...but they loose it after a couple of days. I dont know if I just play a lot but they just dont cut it for me.

16. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I've just ordered some, they're to be delivered tommorow. My strings right now suck. :-\

17. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Alright, I'm in love. Why did noone tell me about these until a week ago?

18. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    No one asked me!

;)

Glad you like 'em. After some time would you mind posting about how well/long they hold their tone. I've read some people complaining about how quickly they go dead. It's been a LONG time since I've used them and I NEVER had this problem with Boomers in the past.

Thanks.

19. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I will do, but seemingly, for now at least, I've gone from just noise to tone. I sound much better thanks to these.

20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I just put some Boomers on my Spector. Very bright and punchy, as others have said. I love the tone through active electronics.