Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anyone ever tried these strings?

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Many love them, many hate them. I hate them. Try searching this forum. And welcome to Talkbass.

:)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive actually been here for a few days so late welcome :) i have 70+ posts already, eheh i am the leading poster at www.tabcrawler.com forums :)

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like Boomers fine.

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Yuck.

They sound good for one day. Then they go dead. Not a good dead, either.

6. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I'll chime in. Here's the good thing: They are one of the most consistently made strings out there. I used them for about 15 years. I never got a bad string and I bought a lot of them! Here's the bad thing: They don't last very long especially in the deep south in the summertime. The heat and humidity will kill almost any brand of string. I have been using DR's since 1999 or so and they last much longer. The only reason that I used them for so long was I couldn't find anything better. Or I didn't want to. Hmm. I have to go and think now...:) Cheers and love to all...

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like mine. oh yes. i do. my precious.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Let me modify my response. I like them fine on four-stringers, but not five. The B on the set I tried died too fast.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    On second thought, screw GHS Boomers. I want my damned Austin Citys back.

10. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i like them... i'm sure there is a better string but i've been using them on my stingray for a while now and i continue to use them so..

i was using ernie ball hybrids (45-65-85-105) but i kept snapping them, i liked how they seemed to retain there brightness for a long time, but i still broke them all the time so i got fed up and switched...

i then started using DR sunbeams, and i liked them alot... FOR ABOUT AN HOUR, then they went dead... okay, maybe more than an hour, but a good night of jammin and they went dead on me.. they did stay consistant though, just very dull and not bright at all... so after a few sets of those i went back (i use to use GHS years ago, before my 'ray) to GHS Bass Boomers..

the boomers seem to stay bright for longer than the sunbeams (they do go "dead" just not as dead) but they dont have the growl that the sunbeams had (IMO).. but like i said, they stay bright(er) and i only break one once in a while and it usually is a .45 or .65 string, so i have confidence in the durability of the strings..

one more thing, they are probably more readily available than any other string, so if you are in some strange city and you need a set of strings, you should be able to find the ones you are accustomed to (GHS)..