Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by voikukka, Aug 2, 2001.

1. I don't understand why the bass amp has to be so went to a Billy Thorpe concert on Wed night, and the bassist was fantastic..if only i could hear what he was playing..when i play, i have it at the optimum listening level, so people can hear what i'm doing..
    WHat do you people think? Do you have your amp up so loud that you're actually covering up your genius (or ingenius, if that's the case!!)?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say I don't understand this post and it seems full of contradictions - like how do you know the bass player was "fantastic" if you couldn't hear him?

My experience has always been that you wouldn't be able to hear somebody if they were too quiet, not if they were too loud? :confused:
  3. well personally, i like to have my AMP volume playing about as loud as the drums. i also have my guitar players amp slightly louder, as he plays wif distortion.

Bass - Volume 6
    Guitar - Volume 7-8

hope that helped.
  4. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I know what you mean, but I think it had less to do with volume and more to do with EQ settings. The guy probably had his bass turned up and the treble defeated. This gets kind of a "sludgy' tone which is what you heard.

Bruce - It's possible to know how good a bass player is by looking at him play, even if you can't hear him. You can still make out technique, timing etc..
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Was it his amp or the guy at the board??? If Billy Thorpe still gets big crowds, I would think what you were hearing was more the house mix on the PA or the physical PA itself, (especially how the subs were dialed in).

Also, some rooms are merciless on bass, particularly if you're not within approx. 20ft of the stage.
  6. That was good to get such helpful replies!
    I'm gonna take u guys as my buddies..if u don't mind!!
    (I'm only new here at talkbass)
    Voikukka :D
  7. Wow....Billy Thorpe? As in "Children of the Sun"? Been years since I heard him.How was the show?
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that - I know from experience (making music videos) that I can mime to look as if I'm doing something really complex, which if you actually heard it, would sound really crap!

I have also seen gigs where after a while it was evident that the bass player was actually miming on stage to pre-recorded/programmed tracks and just goofing about!!

I actually thought the lines about having your amp up so loud it was "covering your genius" was more contradictory!! ;)
  9. I must be the queen of contra!!
    Really..the Bassist was good, but the notes were indefinable due to the volume..i doubt that he (Dario) was miming..he looked pretty real to me..cos' i could tell when he made a mistake (he only had like 3 days to practice Thorpe said)..
    Anyway..the whole show was pretty good...
    I think i'll take the advice to keep bass volume at 6..
  10. I have my amp loud!! as in master on 7 and the preamp volume on 8, with the bass and mids right up. And this is at rehearsal. I agree the sound isn't as fresh, but still its heavy metal, was it meant to be clean?

Plus at large concerts isn't it sometimes common for the bass to be through the PA anyway?
  11. If you use the same amp volume setting you must be playing the same gigs.
    I set my volume to fit between the drums and vocals (unless the drummer is a mindless pounder/rocker who thinks the audience is there to see him. Then I cut back volume, and wait to see how long it takes the other musicians to sneer so that he can recognize it's toward him and not somebody's funky fart).
    My volume knob is obviously different with each gig. :D
  12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    This reply is posted towards merlin's remark. I'm in a metal band and I keep my Low's low, and my mids and highs at about mid range. I'm clear and crisp. :D