Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boomy bass note resonance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpinthenight, May 13, 2004.

1. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    :bawl: I'm using a Hartke 410xl and 115xl set with a Hartke 3500 (practice amp) and I am getting a BOOMY, growing lowd resonance when I hit certain notes-particularly a "B" on the "E string". What causes this?? If I disconnect the 115, it is mildly still present. Is this mainly the characteristic of the 115?? Any advice/info is greatly appreciated. :help:

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    room acoustics?

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Could it be your bass? What kind of bass are you playing, are the volume of the notes even up and down the fret board as well as from string to string? One of my old Ibanez had this problem, but a good set up got rid of it, as well as adjusting my pickup height.

Peace
    -Ben

4. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I am using an American Jazz that I had set-up about a year ago by a very reputable local guy here. He did set the trus for quite a low action. This seems to happen at higher volumes. I'll try messing with my eq again but I just wondered if anyone else had this situation.

5. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Try turning down the mid's would be my guess, if you have more than 3 bands turn down the low mids. Also keep in mind that each room is most resonant to a certain frequency, has something to do with the volume of the room or something like that. That's also a very very big setup to be using all the time, the 4x10" should provide more than enough low end for practicing.

6. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Is this happening during practice, rehearsals or what. I have had this problem occur during performances when the microphones on stage pick up the bass and it makes a real boomy/harmonic situation. Adjusting the eq (lowering the bass) on the monitors is the fix for this. This may not be your problem but hope it helps.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I recently tried a Hartke 410XL with an Eden WT400. Also tried the amp with Eden 410 and 115. At a loud volume I heard the boominess you describe. Neither set up did a good job on the low B. Suggestions from the sales person were to change pick up height, roll off bass boost on the MMV, change tone on the amp, Still boomy. Sales person suggested the Eden 410XLT would be better. Besides I bought the bass becuase of the sounds it gets and I understand the MMV is that powerful an active bass.

From my signature below you can see what I am running the MMV through now. Louds of clean sound at any volume. I have been running it in the passive side of the iAMP800

8. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Bassic1959, I know what you are saying about live shows and the bass kick mike. The same thing happened to me a while back at a show. I cut out my low/mids and also found my setup was too close to my drummer.
    Last nite we did a gig, and I had no probs after lowering the mid/lows. Volume was kept in check also. I usually just use my 115 cab and Hartke 3500 for practice, but even this setup gives a boom if not eq'd properly. It must be my amp/bass setting at times. I guess I just need to "play "with the settings more. Thanx all for the info. :)