1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boomy F Note

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pshep68, Nov 6, 2018.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    I've been playing my Mark Bass Little Mark 800 & MB Standard 104 HF cab and loving it. However at our last gig, (the first time that I have used my MB amp at this venue) whenever I played an F on the E string it sounded awful... really boomy. The open E sounded fine. For all of my other live gigs with the MB, I've been setting the EQ flat, the gain at 10:00 and volume to taste. The VLE & VPF are off. I am playing a Fender American Jazz 4 string with custom 60's pickups. String gauge is 105-45. Both pups are on full and the treble is a little less than 3/4. Any suggestion on EQing, etc?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like room or boundary reflections to me. Happens to me occasionally, too, though the note varies with the room.

biguglyman likes this.
  3. When a room dimension is a multiple of the wavelength you get a resonance at that frequency. You would be looking at 26ft or 52ft most likely across the room.

4. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Broughton HPF ;)

Stumbo likes this.