boomy sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Sep 2, 2002.

1. zoran

May 10, 2002
    I ve played through various heads and cabs and I have always problem with low end definition. I cant get low end which is articulate and tight. Question: is it eq setting, cab quality, possible use of compression (i play without compression right now, cause dbx is on the way to my home), .My set up now is glockenklang bass art preamp , hafler p3000 poweramp (bridged 400w) and 4x10" trace elliot cab
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Try setting the bass and (pre)amp flat. Play over the pickup. Does it still have the problem?

Try boosting the mids a little (tip courtesy of Matthias). Try playing a little nearer the bridge.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Boominess can be a problem of room acoustics, you get standing wave reinforcements of certain frequencies. Often you will get a better low-end definition by actually rolling back the low bass a bit and adding mid-range instead. A parametric equalizer, or notch filter, can also help to dial out the offending frequency. Depending on room size it is often somewhere in the 70-100 Hz range so it's a delicate balance to get a powerful low bass sound without boominess.
  4. This is made worse by so many cabs that stuff drivers into a too-small vented enclosure and create even more of a mid-bass boom.

I had an Eden D410XLT on the test bench, and found it boomed like crazy around 80 Hz, right at the upper impedance peak of the vented enclosure.

One man's boom is another man's punch, so YMMV.
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Here's a product I just discovered called Auralex Gramma which is a board with acoustical foam underneath. My bandmate who tried it out said the difference in sound with and without the Gramma was remarkable. It's supposed to take away alot of the "boominess" associated with hollow wooden stages and certain halls without taking away the low frequencies.

Go to and do a search for it. I'm going to post a new thread to see if anybody on here has had experience with this product.
  6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Gramma is a great product but it will not eliminate boominess due to a particularly resonant frequency in the lower ranges. You probably should use a good parametric for this.
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I suppose it's one (or more) of the following reasons:
    • bad room acoustics
    • EQ-setting not suitable for band mix
    • the TE cab - I'm sure we can rule out the Glockenklang, and also the power amp should have minor influence unless it is a really bad one which loses definition in the low end (I never heard of Hafler, sorry)
    rolling off bass and/or boosting mids can really help in any case. Another important point is to set the EQ while the whole band is playing.
    To verify the last point: Do you have a chance to play your preamp and poweramp through another cab? Maybe you can borrow one for a rehearsal and see if it makes a difference.

I don't think that a compressor will help because it does not affect frequency response.

Good luck!