1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

boomy tone with gk head and 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mangl, Apr 1, 2006.

1. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    howdy, just played my first gig outside of school in a battle of the bands, and we won!
    i had bass cranked out, i drowned out the guitars but that was half the fun :D
    anyway, my bass was sounding boomy as hell and it wasnt tight at all. i ran my gk 1001rb head through some 4x10 cab, i had the contour at full and most of the other settings at 12 o'clock coz i really dont know how i should set them..
    anyone got any tips for settings on the gk 1001rb?
    looking for a tighter, heavy rock sorta sound.

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Crank those mids a a bit!

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Turn that contour completely OFF!!!

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    +1 Contour completely counter-clockwise (turning it clockwise scoops the mids while boosting the highs and lows). Also trying setting the 4/5 string switch to 4 string (5 string mode results in a +11db boost around 20hz

- Ugly

5. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    cool, ill do turn contour off next time :) and any recommended settings for the high mids nd low knobs?

6. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Hi Mangl,

It’s very hard to get a real sound check when you’re the only one playing. I’m sure that contour control sounds real sweet in your living room when you’re alone, but once everybody else kicks in you need to get those mids and highs in, to cut thru the mix. How much depends on the size and shape of the room. It also matters what the walls, floor, and ceiling are made of.

I run an old GK 400RB, so I don’t have a contour or presence knob. But I can give you a good “rule of thumb” … Always keep your volume turned up a little higher than the boost.

Mine isn’t as powerful as yours so I almost always start with the master on 10 (you might not need to do that with yours). I set the volume at 12 o‘clock, and the boost at 10 o‘clock. The high mid is usually at 10 o’clock and the low mid and bass knobs are at about 2 o’clock. I usually leave the treble straight up for starters. Mine has 3 voicing filter buttons that I don’t see on yours. I always use the mid cut, sometimes add the high boost (while playing), and I’ve never used the bass cut. Yours has the Contour and Presence knobs where mine has the buttons. If I was using your amp I would leave them both straight up for starters, and then fool with it after, if needed. After all, that’s how they designed it. The adjustability is all about compensating for the room.

Essentially, I keep all the knobs near the “straight up” position so that once we get going I have adjustability in all directions. And I always wind up adjusting them as the gig goes on, but not too much. We play at bars so “sound checks” are rare. I guess the key is knowing which knob to turn. Too much "bark" (i.e coffee can) means turn the high mid down. Want more punch = more low mid, but too much and it loses clarity. It's just a mater of familiarity. You'll find your own...

It looks like your amp has a “clip” light next to the volume knob, so you’ll want to set your volume knob so that that light just blinks when you are playing at your hardest, (you can do this with the master volume on zero so you don’t drive everybody crazy). If you do it with your guitar volume set at about 7, you’ll be able to get killer distortion when you need it by cranking your guitar to 10. This can be good for certain parts of a song, but not always. Then, at the end of the song, if you want that last note to keep ringing to the point of feedback you just turn around and crank up that boost! It’s cool, try it and you’ll know what I mean. I love the tone of my amp, especially how simple it is to use. I'm sure yours is a killer! The more you use it, the more you'll like it. Especially once you get familiar with what it can do....

ROCK ON!!!:bassist:

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Youre very best bet. Countour and Presence all the way off, EQ set to 12:00 which is flat. THen get one of your bass player buddies to play while you walk out front. Come on back make an adjustment or two, do the walk repeat until you've got it. Careful not to add too much bass or Contour as it will often turn to mud when there are people in the room and your band is playing. If you don;t have a handy bass player bud, teach your guitarist some bass and learn some guitar. You can do the same for him. A wireless unit works well for this but costs money.