BOOOOOM! Sold my bass, got me one of these...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Dec 24, 2004.

1. :D only kidding.

I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time.

I went up to the range today, heard this loud thunderclap about 3-5 times before I knew what it was. The shockwave literally kept me from focusing on my target----and I was 80 feet away on the next firing bench. :bag: :eek:

Well, needless to say...this thing rocked my world. The modest looking guy that had this $8,000 anti-armor weapon was --- and for good reason --- in a closed off portion of the range that he had to himself at the request of the rangemasters. When he arrived initially he was shooting with the others, leaving them with a deafening earthquake of a blast to deal with. When this thing shoots, it comes completely off the ground about two inches and sets you back about six, simultaneously leaving you and others around you in a cloud of powder smoke ducking wondering what the f*** just went off.

Well anyway there the guy was, having all of his range equipment set up and calculating scientifically where each round would hit.

I go up to him and ask him; "how much would I have to pay you to shoot that thing?" He smiles and says "well...each round is 4 bucks a pop" (which is true for .50BMG). I told him I'd pay him five bucks to shoot it once. Hell, I'd have paid him just to have him be there with that thing. So I eagerly hand him a $5 and sit down and shoulder that beast. I could NOT believe that I was about to off a .50 caliber round through a Barrett 82A1 military anti-armor rifle. Well...after a moment of looking through the scope and adjusting to the target accordingly, I sqeezed off the biggest O-face in my life. BOOOOOOOOOOM! :eek:

Needless to say, it kicked like a mule. The concussion from the round didn't get to me as I was just behind the rifle, but if any more behind it and it'd blown your hat off. I just shot something bigger than my Jr. that would punch right through anything except an M1A1. I was excited.

But of course it never counts without pictures so...

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Ah, a little rifle for hunting squirrel :eek: 2000 yards! :D
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I somewhat dislike guns and what they do but...

DAMN THAT'S COOL! :hyper:

Or maybe I just don't like the way some people choose to USE theirs.

Anyway, I gotta fire one of those sometime in my life. Hopefully it's at something explosive. :D

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    My dad would be interested in this for sure. As a machinist, he's built several small canons and recently built a machine gun. I'm not a gun fanatic, but he is. One of those guys who drives several hours away to go to 3-day gun shows and such. haha
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

I am getting 30`06 but i might reconsider for that one:) only 7800 more...
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you guys really want a "fifty" there are some less expensive single shot and magazine fed .50BMG bolt-action rifles out there. I have seen drop on uppers for the AR-15/M-16 lowers for about $1200-1300.

The Barrett is the Rolls Royce of the .50BMGs but its a semi-auto which =$$$
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Normally I'd agree with you. But in this case, and in my opinion that's clearly a sporting / personal interest gun.

You couldnt defend yourself with that unless your mugger / intruder was more than say - 50 feet minimum away - and to my mind that makes it okay.

Having said that, it'd be one of the only weapons i am comfortable with people having. Virtually any other gun is a big joke to this UK member.
  8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm not a real big fan of guns, either, but seeing some collectors' showpieces, I understand that there is a history of beautiful, artistic rifles and shotguns out there, which have a deserved place in the collecting world. Also, guns such as muzzle-loaders which my dad likes to hunt with are little danger to anyone in terms of household protection and/or violent intent.

Handguns are the ones I don't like. Most of them have very little use outside harming another human being, either in violent attack or self-defense.

hehe imagine someone lugging one of these 50s to an apartment to rob someone, or to a convenient store... LoL!
  9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

I don't know about you but the sheer intimidation factor on that guy would make me hand over the money prompto.......

I like having more then half my body intact :).
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Cool piece! It's hard for me to get into rifles. I'm a sidearm man. I have a Makorov .380 and a Glock 9mm. I take 'em to the range about about twice a month. I fell in love with the Mak when I was doing OPFOR weapons training in the army. I bought one as soon as I got out. Great pistol!
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cobb Manufacturing makes a bolt-action .50 that they claim are able to make the recoil less than that of a 12 gauge...12 gauge ain't much really..most hunting rifles recoil more than that. They use one of Armalite's high efficiency muzzle brakes. After shooting 35 rounds through my new Remington 700 BDL .30-06 the other day I can definitely appreciate anything that is recoil-reducing.

That's real cool though! They do make standard .50 rounds that will not pierce technically it's only armor piercing with armor-piercing ammo.

brad cook
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm glad to see the logic in this thread. Even the people who are not enamored with guns realize how ludicrous it would be to say this is some kind of threat from criminals. What thug is going to drop 8 large on a .50 to commit crimes with?! To date I don't think there's ever been a murder on US soil committed with a .50 rifle. Unfortunately the state of California is not so logical and passed a bill that bans any new purchase or importation of .50s starting on January 1st. The funny thing is that a bunch of people scrambled to buy them before the ban takes effect so now there are probably more .50 rifles in California than there ever would have been.

brad cook
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I hope your dad has a license to manufactur machine guns. Otherwise he's committing a federal crime and he probably doesn't like you posting it on message boards.

There are tons of handguns in America that are used for sport and hobby such as hunting, target shooting, Cowboy Action shooting, etc...

If someone is threatening the lives of me or my family though I'm not opposed to harming them with my handgun...I'd prefer my 12 gauge though.

brad cook
  14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've considered making the investment in either a .50 BMG upper for my AR or a stand-alone bolt gun, but to be honest I think there's an extremely good chance they will be declared Destructive Devices by BATFE. Too much money to lose to a ban.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ah, the bravery of being out of range.
  16. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    That'd be awesome. Having seen some of the devastating effects of .223, I can only imagine what a .50 would do. A properly aimed shot would probably rip a person or deer in half.
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I did read a sniper after-action report a while back about a guy in Iraq who shot a man with an RPG atop a water tower at close to 1000 yards with a .50 BMG round. When they found the guy his torso was on the ground and the rest of him was atop the water tower.

Believe it or not though it's on record that there are soldiers here and there that have survived being hit by a .50 BMG round. Usually it's a case of passing straight through without hitting vitals.

brad cook
  18. Yeah. The recoiless ones (bolt actions) that you speak of are louder and kick about twice as hard.
  19. But the fact that it is even capable of armor piercing (I REALLY don't know of any other shoulder-fired rifle that is besides a .50 BMG)

The Cobb's are nice, but what you get with the muzzle break and relatively low recoil is accuracy, and with those accessories you compromise power (if that's possible with a .50). A recoiless bolt action is the most power you can have.