Boosey & Hawkes 400. Any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bass Camel, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Have any of you any experience of a Boosey & Hawkes 400?

I've found one second hand for £850 (~$1500). I will be trying it tomorrow, just wanted some background info because 7 pages of Google results drew a blank.

Many Thanks,

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    This must be the new 21st century Chinese model.. They used to be made in England, France and Germany about 100 years ago... Hawks Panormo, Professor and Concert Models.. Sounds like the Guitar mentality when they use numbers for models...
  3. Low Dromedary....

Ken is right I suspect.....

Likely Chinese built for B&H. The virtual same bass is also built under the Paesold, A. Schroetter, and Hofner brands, though there may be slight finish differences between them. They do build a full range of basses under the Paesold brand, from OK to WOW, and some pretty good ones as a Hofner.

Had a Schroetter for a bit a couple of years ago, but it had been damaged in shipment, and I wanted it perfect. Likely would have bought one, but they couldn't give me a shipping time, then an income tax cheque came in........and........

The Schroetter I had was the lower grade hybrid, I can't remember the number, and it was actually pretty decent. There are a couple of guys here playing them (for bluegrass) and I haven't heard of any physical issues.
  4. Thank you both,

I think I may end up with a Schroetter, but there are currently none in the UK.

I'll try the B&H anyway, but a new Schroetter is less than they want for it, so it will have to be very good.

Thanks again,

5. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I found my Hawkes Panormo in Thailand-a great price, a great bass.
    If the bass has the same measurements as my 100 y.o. swell-back, then I'm sure your aware that it won't be the easist bass to transport, it will need a 7/8 bag. Upper register facility is somewhat difficult due to the 22 1/2" shoulders.
    This might limit your tessitura.
    Get a second opinion on it before you buy.
    Nam likes this.