1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

boosey/hawkes schroetter bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Milothicus, Feb 20, 2003.

1. I went to Long/McQuade yesterday. In case people don't know, it's a huge chain with 21 stores all across canada. I was asking what basses they had available. i said i wanted to spend about 1500 canadian. none of the stores in the area had any used stuff when i went badk to check in. well, i was told there's one bass that they sell new for 1595 canadian. it's made in china by boosey & hawkes. the brand is schroetter. i went to the boosey/hawkes webpage, and couldn't find any listing of this brand. there was a page:

schroetter shop adjustment

that talks about schroetter instruments having some better setup process that the other instruments don't. has anyone heard of this? is it just another of b/h's brands of bass setup by 'schroetter'? or is it something new? any ideas?

and also, is it a legitimate instrument?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's probably a Boosey and Hawkes-run Chinese factory, and Shroetter is this particular model. (or vice-versa) If I'm not mistaken, Boosey and Hawkes are originally an English company, Shroetter is a German company, and China produces good instruments for little $$$. The whole thing is controlled by Ted Turner....

3. Well, here's B/H's response to an email:

Our Andrew Schroetter basses are Chinese made. The model you are asking about has a carved spruce top and laminated back and sides. It has an ebony fingerboard and comes with Chinese steel strings. The bag is padded and the bow is a Chinese made brazil wood stick with horsehair.

I am a bassist myself and I am continually amazed at how the Chinese are making these sound so good for such a low price. I would recommend getting one for evaluation.

Good luck.

just in case anyone else was wondering....